Airbox trunking

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Airbox trunking

Post by Pete Boole »

richardw wrote:
Pete Boole wrote:I'll be fitting one during my Elite restoration - fashionable or not!! :D

Pete
Pete, I'd be interested to know if the vinyl simply wraps round the metal strips along the front of the roof and closely abuts the windscreen trim, or whether the lip of the vinyl also slips under the windscreen trim? Do you know?

Cheers, Richard
I believe - but haven't seen yet - that it is held in place by metal clamps/plates under the anodised aluminium trim, so the vinyl goes under the trim. Presumably the plates are screwed/riveted to the fibreglass. Hoping to get a definitive answer before doing mine. I've worked out how it is fixed at the back though!.

Pete

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Have you considered 'self adhesive' vinyl wrap in leather effect? Fitted and removed with hair dryers.

Shouldn't need to clamp the 'leather'!
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Hawaiis0 wrote:Have you considered 'self adhesive' vinyl wrap in leather effect? Fitted and removed with hair dryers.

Shouldn't need to clamp the 'leather'!
I hadn't. But I'll look into it to see how realistic they look. The biggest problem will be finishing it at the back somehow, not the front.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Pete