Peco / Grundy exhaust differences.

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Peco / Grundy exhaust differences.

Post by MetBlue »

I've been puzzling over part numbers for exhaust systems and particularly rear silencers.
In simple terms, it seems LC engines used Peco, with maybe just a few HC cars leaving the factory with Peco systems (prior VIN 2207). These had a different rear silencer that is described as 64mm sleeved?
It then seems that from MY86, post VIN 2207, only Grundy system were fitted, all 64 mm with sleeve.
Anyone know what this 'sleeve' is and what it would look like?

Also, are any parts interchangeable between the two suppliers? I understand Peco were painted black and Grundy Blue. There's no paint on my silencers, but I can see a part number on one which correctly identifies it as the Grundy part. As a very late car, it would have had Grundy when it left the factory.

I ask because Oakmere only have Peco available, but at what appears a very reasonable prices. Just wondering if they would fit, and if so, would it affect the running of the car.

Did a search, but all info is very old and doesn't directly answer.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Peco / Grundy exhaust differences.

Post by rbgosling »

I've not done any research.... but I do know that, when I had a silencer fall off and I went to Lotusbits to find a replacement, I did a fair bit of rooting through their pile of used parts to find something that matched what I had, and none of it did, quite. At least I managed to find enough mix 'n' match parts to achieve two matching rear boxes on my car. But then what I had might have been a non-standard aftermarket system anyway, who knows what was fitted to my car before I bought it?

Of course, they used the opportunity to try and get me to drop a grand on their lovely bespoke stainless system... I resisted!

Anyway, what I can say is that there seems to be plenty of incompatability out there, particularly if you don't know what you've got, and what you're looking at in a pile of used parts.

Wish we were in the US, where custom exhaust builders are in every town and can make a system to order in a couple of hours.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

My (1998) car has a Lotus one on the left, still showing a bit of blue paint and an SJ stainless one on the right. The inllet stubs are slightly different shapes and the tailpipes are different with the Lotus. I'll be going to the garage tomorrow and I'll try to remember to take photos to show the different tailpipes.
What car is that?

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

Finally remembered to take pictures of the tailpipes. They are more similar than I thought.

First, the Lotus tailpipe.

And the SJ tailpipe.

The transition between the small and large diameters is sharper in the Lotus part. It's more rounded in the SJ tailpipe. Other than that, they seem the same.
What car is that?