Exhaust-modify or not?

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Senior Poster
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Re: Exhaust-modify or not?

Post by richardw »

Johnwindwood wrote:Well, I AM John! :lol:
Sorry-missed the updates.

Still really pleased with the exhaust. Cost just under £600 made on the car. Centre silencer removed, more efficient rears fitted. Result is slightly more noise overall (But a lovely note!)
No booming and not wearing on a long journey. I'd do it again without hesitation.
Very interesting John. Based on your experience, I can feel a centre box delete coming on!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Well fitted a shiny new SJ exhaust from y piece backwards. Fitted great, looks good but has a bloody annoying tingling rasp on one of the boxes. Hopefully a little soot will sort it out
Umm! What to do next?

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by chrisw2811 »

I found a local guy - Tim at Total Vehicle Services, Romsey - who races a 700BHP Nascar, has a really interesting garage/workshop - cars and bikes on 3 floors. We put the excel on his smaller lift and inspected the exhaust system. Still quite solid but rusting at the unions for the rear silencers, time to replace. I've ordered a stainless replacement system from SJS. Everything but the manifold. I was very tempted by the LotusBits system but too short on time to take the car over there for engine removal to fit the tubular manifold.
'85 Excel SE, '84 FJ1100, '12 Passat TDI Estate, '12 Golf TSi, '04 Picanto, '10 Gary Fisher Wahoo 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1984 Honda XL200 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by chrisw2811 »

Tim fitted the new system yesterday. It went straight on with no issues, fits well and looks very shiny. Took it for a long drive to get the system up to temperature. The exhaust note is very slightly muted (it may have been blowing slightly from one rusty silencer joint) and the engine seems to pull very much the same as before.
'85 Excel SE, '84 FJ1100, '12 Passat TDI Estate, '12 Golf TSi, '04 Picanto, '10 Gary Fisher Wahoo 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1984 Honda XL200 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!