Super 4 Sparks

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

GJ1
Senior Poster
Model: Ex Excel SE Owner
Colour: Pearlescent White
Year: 1990

Super 4 Sparks

Post by GJ1 »

Anyone used or using these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSCH-SUPER4-SUPE ... dZViewItem

Any feedback welcome. :?: :?:
I used to be indecisive..........
but I'm not sure anymore.

dpr59
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1989

Post by dpr59 »

Tried them when I first got the Excel.

Didn't notice any difference over NGK v grove.

The one that did make a differnce where the NGK Iridium plugs I have in now.

These I would recommend.

BPR7EIX
A

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I thought these plugs produce ONE spark but it will jump to the electrode that is experiencing the least pressure within the combustion chamber. I've used these in the Clan and you can see which electrode is mostly used by the pattern of carbon on the plug.

The slight advantage is that with an ordinary single electrode type the ground electrode might randomly be positioned in a relatively higher pressure area of the combustion chamber.

However I have got a Spitfire mutlispark unit fitted to my Excel and I'm very pleased with the difference it make to smooth running, midrange flexibility and longer spark plug life and less distributor cap electrode erosion. It works by splitting the single spark from from the coil king lead into five sparks. The power of the five sparks are a 1/5 of the original one spark but the sparks fire over a slighlty longer cycle giving a more complete burn under certain combustion conditions (ie it cleans things up at certain throttle openings/revs).
Peter K

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

A mate of mine swears by that Spitfire multispark thing. He bought one about 12 years ago after seeing a demo at a car show.

Where did you get yours from ? I've never heard of anyone other than my mate using and endorsing it.
Kev W no.282

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I got mine from a motor show too (the one near you at Newcastle Arena).

But you can still get them click here

I have got the large single coil king lead one on the Excel and the set of four smaller spark plug lead versions on the Clan. I would recommend the large single one for the Excel.
Peter K

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

Well - that's convinced me NOT to get one - the website is the same one that sells the legendary Broquet "fuel catalyst".
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Oh bummer!

Then I'll have to take my Spitfire multispark off. :shock:

... better running over the last 7 years just can't be good for my engine :? ...it was going so well too! :P :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Angus :wink:
Peter K

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Seriously - I do wonder how many of these things actually work and how much is placebo effect (or even just the effect you would get from replacing/upgrading any components which have to be replaced to fit the device in the first place). It seems to be very very difficult to get completely unbiased independent scientific test reports for any of them.

Surely if they were that good, they'd be fitted to some cars as standard equipment ?

(and as for the Broquet - I had a car with a wrecked cylinder head because I was told it had been converted to unleaded. The PO had dropped a pile of Broquet snake-poo tablets into the fuel tank instead of doing the job properly. I didn't find out until it was too late....fortunately, it was only a Skoda Rapide worth about £50 at the time)
SORN - just say NO!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I take your point Angus. 8)

I did infact fit new plug leads and plugs at the same time as fitting the multispark 7 years ago. There was a noticeable improvement in all aspects of running....and it runs as well now as it did when I first fitted the unit...there has been no deterioation.

The multispark principle is well proven however and is particularly effective in cammy race engines...

Admittedly, the Spitfire multispark is a compromise unit compared to the full blown multispark units such as the MSD units

Click here

....used in racing. These sophisticated units produce full power multisparks and have other computer controlled aspects such as limiting the multisparks to below 3.5 k rpm where they are most effective.

I saw the demo and was immediately interested so I bought one....I have been pleased with the increased plug life and the midrange smoothness. Moreover I have noticed many forum members complain about rough lumpy running, hesitation and reluctance to rev which I had when I first bought the Excel and have not experienced since.

I can confirm that my rough running wasn't due the original plug leads breaking down because I've recycled those leads into the Clan and that revs to 9-10K rpm. Maybe it was the old plugs breaking down...I'll just have to wait for my seven year old plugs to get in the same state.

Fuel Cat though! huh! only a mug would fall for that! :P :shock: :P
Peter K

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

That's a shame. My lawnmower has been running really well with the fuel cat, even on unleaded petrol :roll:
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to those "fuel catalyst" items too, although I admit I have no first hand experience of them.

As for the Spitfire the theory behind it's operation does seem to make sense. My mate, who is a trained mechanic so knows more about engines than I do, swears he is able to tell the difference in the performance of his treasured 1985 BMW 316 (I know - it takes all sorts) when he disconnects the Spitfire. Placebo ? - maybe.
Kev W no.282

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Ps. I remember something about the Russians using "fuel catalyst" pellets to enable Rolls Royce Merlin aero engines in Hawker Hurricanes to run on poor quality fuel during World War Two.
Kev W no.282

GJ1
Senior Poster
Model: Ex Excel SE Owner
Colour: Pearlescent White

Post by GJ1 »

Thanks for the responses, very interesting points made.
As the old girl is running fine I think I will stick to what I've got for the time being. As the old saying goes "if it aint broke...."
I used to be indecisive..........
but I'm not sure anymore.

Peter
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Peter »

In theory i can see why a multispark unit/upgraded unit would make a differance to the excel, being carburetted the fuel kinda squirts in according to your right foot, a fuel injected car is computer controlled, so it tends to put the right amount in, a better spark cycle probably helps with the effcient burn of squirting in to much fuel when you put your foot down, i am thinking of picking up a upgraded ingnition mod, either the one thats being talked about on the other forum or a multispark unit, however there's a lot going on a home at the moment so all this stuff is on the backburner probably till after christmas

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

But how does the multi-spark unit know how much fuel is going into a carburetted engine ?
SORN - just say NO!