Radiator Fans

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Radiator Fans

Post by Tanz »

I put my repaired radiator back in last weekend but since then my fans won't work. They worked fine before, so it must be something I have done but I can't think what :?

I reconected the two connectors that connect the fans to the main wiring.
Then each fan had a black wire bolted to the metal supports that hold the motors in place. The otter switch was reconected. Have I missed anything :?:
Both fuses are ok.
I have removed the two wires from the otter switch and connected them together with the ignition switch in the second position but nothing happens. Leaving these two wires connected, I have un pluged one of the fans and put a test light to the incoming wire to the fan but the bulb does not light.
Is the relay by the fuse box and if so which one is it :?:
Should there be an earth wire going to the motor supporting frame :?:

As I say, they were fine before \I removed them so it must be something I have missed when putting them back in.

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Do the fans turn freely by hand ? The brackets are pretty flimsy and can bend enough to cause the fans to stick.

Failing this - there are two fan fuses and a single double-pole relay in the later circuits. They should be listed in your handbook. From memory the relay is the 2nd or 3rd one from the front of the car in the "outer" row.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Ozzy_UK »

had similar problem, was a wet relay (replaced for £7)part number (Hella) 4RA003510-131 i think...
also check the otter switch is fitted either on it side, or below the pipe (put mine in above the level of the water first time too :S

silly sod that i am
hope that helps!
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470

Tango190
Junior Poster

Post by Tango190 »

What year is your car Tanz ??

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

Tanz, have you tried with the ignition switch fully on? I'm not sure which circuits are active with the switch at the second position.
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

chrisw2811 wrote:Tanz, have you tried with the ignition switch fully on? I'm not sure which circuits are active with the switch at the second position.
Should be OK at 2nd position (i.e. warning lights [ brake, "fan fail", alternator] illuminated) - works on my '90 SE anyway. This is, after all, the normal running position :wink:
SORN - just say NO!

chrisw2811
Senior Poster

Post by chrisw2811 »

Oops, sorry yes, I've just been in the garage to check. My switch has a fiddly lock which gives the impression of three positions up to ignition on, but is only two. :oops:
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

The car is a 1988 E reg.

It,s rained all day here so i havn't been able to get out and try anything.

The fans turn freely. It has to be something stupid I did last week when I put the rad back in.

Why are there 2 wires going into each motor AND a black wire to earth on the metal motor supports :?

chrisw2811
Senior Poster

Post by chrisw2811 »

The black wire to my motor support is loose (another job to do..) but does not seem to affect the operation of the fans, which worked fine all afternoon at Kimbolton. If the connections to the fans are good and the the fault is common to both, looks like the fault is further up the line...

chrisw2811
Senior Poster

Post by chrisw2811 »

I wonder if the black wire is an earth lead to prevent static build-up? :?:

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Good news and bad news

Fixed the fans - now the car won't start :x

After checking the two fuses all the connections etc I came to the conclution it must be the relay. So I pulled the 1st relay from the front of the car in the outer row but the number did not match the one suggested by Ozzy (above). The second one did match, I checked the third (just in case there was 2 the same) but this did not match. My conclusion was the 2nd one must be for the fans. I tried to start the car with the 2nd one missing. My thinking being that if every thing else worked this would confirm this to be the relay for the fans. The car would not start. I put the relay back in but the car still would not start. I looked in my hand book at the list of fuses to see if there could be a fuse which may have blown that could stop the car starting and to my suprise I found a third fuse which is to do with the fans. A 2 Amp radiator fans control fuse. I pulled this fuse and sure enough it had blown. I exchanged it for the 2amp heater fuse and now the fans work but the car still won't start :!:
I guess I might have disturbed something while pulling the relays. Normally when an engine won't start you can smell excess unburnt fuel under the bonnet but there is no fuel smell so maybe the pump is not working :?:

Any ideas :?:

Markexel
Senior Poster

Post by Markexel »

Go into the boot and switch on ignition ,see if pump is working

It will stop once the float chambers are full

Also is there a spark ?take a plug out and earth it on block turn engine over to see if u have a spark

Are all the coil wires connected includeing HT ?what about the plug that goes to the dizzy {2 wires}?

Mark

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Got home from work tonight and tried to start car - nothing doing.
Held a plug against the block while the wife turned the engine over - no spark. Checked usual electrical connections but could find nothing wrong.
As mentioned before - I had been pulling relays and fuses and there was a tangled mass of wires in this area. :shock:

Is everyones wiring like this :?:
Anyway - I noticed the imobiliser connections were here and they were those stupid plastic clip over things which often make a poor connection and are easily 'disturbed. Had I interfered with these connections and the imobiliser was playing up. :?: I switched off the alarm/imobiliser using the key swith on the unit.
First turn off the key and the engine fired up :D

So i've just got to sort out the poor imobiser connections. Has anyone got a better way of connecting wires than those plastic connectors as in the picture :?:

By the way - the fans cut in at about 90 and brought the temp down to 85 before cutting out. When diving - the temp is usually at 80.

Another point - when I came to replace the 2 amp radiator fan control fuse. Iwent to my local car shop who said he had never seen a 2 amp push in fuse. I had to buy a 3 amp which isn't ideal.

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Ewwwww! Nasty, nasty wiring....Not normal, definitely NOT normal. :cry:

Fuses : http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/287
SORN - just say NO!

Tanz
Senior Poster