HEAD LAMP SWITCH POSITIONS

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Cathy
Junior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1988

HEAD LAMP SWITCH POSITIONS

Post by Cathy »

Hi guys,

Would like someone to clarify the switch positions for the lights, on my 88 excel, on the stalk the first position allows you to clean and maintain lamps, without the lights on. From off to second position it brings up my pods and puts the lamps on as well as side lights. And then the third position is main beam/dip. I only bring this up as it is contary to the handbook which says second position only puts on side lights for parking and doesn't bring up pods. It's no problem i was just wondering as i recently drove an 89 which did what the manual stated, and wanted to know if mine is normal.
Also i drove the excel all over, visiting at christmas and notice the distinct lack off visibility this was propably due to salt and grime from the roads, i kept having to stop and clean em, i have fitted hallegen 50% brighter bulbs. Any other suggestions.

amarshall
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

With engine off, second position should be sidelights only. !st position should do nothing until you flash the headlamps to raise the pods.

If you have dim-dip, when the ignition is switched on (2nd position) then the headlamp pods should come up and dimmed dipped beam activate. The pods should then stay up until the light switch is put back to off.

Cathy
Junior Poster

Post by Cathy »

cheers for that, i've only had the car two years !!!! Didnt realise about the parking light feature never bothered to read that bit, we're all mod cons.

dpr59
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1989

Post by dpr59 »

Pulled the dim/dip fuse on mine. Stupid idea, pods up half illuminated lights.....

On bulbs, I replaced mine with Xenon bulbs however kept the wattage the same.

Fancied the 90W mains but didn't want to risk melting and wires.

The visibility is much better with the blue bulbs...
A

Cathy
Junior Poster

Post by Cathy »

That's what i ment xenon bulbs, i kept with the same wattage too. but there are conversion kits out there but they are really expensive. I think i will stick to jumping out the car every so often to wipe the muck off the head lamps. The joys of winter driving. Is there any difference between the blue xenon and normal xenon bulbs?

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Post by tonypoll »

I guess you've checked the reflectors are OK. It is quite common for the inside of the headlamps to corrode. I replaced mine and there was a great improvement.

Cathy
Junior Poster

Post by Cathy »

Thats a thought actually we flew through last years mot on an advise (very nice man, before it went computerised), on n/s lamp reflective stuff was suffering with a bit of corrosion but i never bothered to change it and i have a replacement. Winter lazyitis! cheers.