Gps speedo

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Gps speedo

Post by bash »

Has anyone any experience with a gps speedo they could share. Ive noticed on phone apps that they can be a bit lazy when accelerating hard.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Re: Gps speedo

Post by Marten »

bash wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52
Has anyone any experience with a gps speedo they could share. Ive noticed on phone apps that they can be a bit lazy when accelerating hard.

Bash
No experience, but a long tunnel and a speedcamera sounds like a recipe for disaster

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Thats true, I will have to avoid tunnels

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I use a dash top GPS Speedo in the Clan and, tbh, I've never watched it when accelerating hard. Too busy watching the car I'm chasing, or the rear view mirror for cops.

But one thing's for sure, I find it much easier to follow and register a bright high contrast OLED speed number than an analogue pointer. Especially if like me you drive more than one car where the Speedo dial range and number positions vary between cars. Eg vertical needle number is 60 mph in one and 70 mph in the other.
I have a Tom Tom sat nav that I move between 4 cars too, and tend to use the digital GPS speed as the definitive check through average speed zones. It usually results in me travelling faster than others through road works whilst keeping to the limit plus a couple for luck.
Peter K

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Chap on facebook thread is using GPS as his gearbox drive is shagged. He's looking of the drive so seems not happy with GPS.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 20:13
Chap on facebook thread is using GPS as his gearbox drive is shagged. He's looking of the drive so seems not happy with GPS.
The cheap solution is a battery powered bicycle computer ;)

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Im looking at this on the link, very similar looking to the standard unit, white and yellow numbers and just needs the bezel painting black. It can be driven by pulses or an extra bit can be added for gps.

Bash
https://www.competitionsupplies.com/smi ... eedometers

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I'm fitting a hall-effect wheel speed sensor to the Elite to drive my electronic VDO speedo. I'm sure you could do the same on the Excel if you didn't use the GPS function.

Pete

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

For a 6 month period my speedo stopped working (needed a new cable). I already had a Garmin Head Up Display in the car, so just used that - linked to my phone. Worked fine.

Unfortunately, no longer produced or supported, so I have to use an old android phone as I cannot migrate the app to my current phone. I also have it on a working windows phone.

I still use the HUD if going on a trip.

Edit to add: This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HW1POK6/ ... 71_TE_item

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Ive been using the speed on an old tomtom unit, and occasionally on a phone app because my speedo is out due to a new diff ratio. Both seem to lag well behind the analogue speedo when accelerating hard and catch up after a few seconds but I was wondering if a purpose made unit would be better, plus I could get rid of the next to useless very old tomtom. My speedo is about 10 percent out at the moment but its reading low so I could do without a speeding ticket.
Thanks for your replies.

Bash