74 Elite wiring improvements

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

74 Elite wiring improvements

Post by MetBlue »

Not sure where this thread will go, but looking for some knowledge share from you clever electrical types out there, and experiences on the weak links in the wiring harness for the early Elites / Eclats.

It says it all when the wiring diagram fits on one page of A4 for the Elite, when my Excel diagram runs to 35 pages, it has 10 Fuses against the 30+ in the Excel and 4 relays !

My starter for 10 is about the Head light circuit. A long time ago in a galaxy not far away, my car was actually a runner, but the wiring had got warm at the Headlight switch ( Turn / Pull) and the rear of the Fuse box.
So I want to add some relays into the circuit - besides sorting out the heat soaked wiring / connectors.
First question : What does the Thermal Interrupter do (situated immediately after the light switch for headlights)? I understand it is a kind of thermal switch, but as I understand the circuit, if it went open circuit, you'd loose headlights !
I've also got a service bulletin (1976/20) which covers a revision to add a relay in place of the Diode that will be in my car ( feeds the main beam circuit).
Anyone already done a similar mod?

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Re: 74 Elite wiring improvements

Post by AndrewWebber »

Left it all as it was, I don't think it has been messed with previously ... it all seems to be working out and about all this week in it, plenty of miles at night. Does it make the 'headlight flash' operate????

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I wonder if that thermal switch is behind the stories of headlights just failing and loosing the headlights.

I’m sure it happened once when Ollie was driving one, and the last hotel we had the Ollie run meal at - I had a good conversation with the lady running it and she relayed a story to me of an older relative (? Aunt/uncle) who also had this happen to them.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

The biggest problem with the headlights is that all the current runs through both the dash switch and the steering column stalk. I've reversed this by just using the switches to activate relays. The fuse "board" is a Ford item and woefully inadequate - most seem to melt, like the headlight stalks, especially with the slightest extra current draw. On cars with a/c there is a relay that stops you using the rear screen heater if the a/c is on - the system won't cope :shock:. So far I've got a similar number of added relays as there are in the Excel, but I'll be adding some for the window motors etc.. Can't have too many relays in a plastic car!

Pete