Indicator/Hazard Flasher Unit

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1984

Indicator/Hazard Flasher Unit

Post by Roadrunner »

Set off in Lola yesterday and quickly found that the indicators have stopped working! Trip abandoned and so took the time to check fuses and bulbs and all are fine. Given that the hazard switch is also not working my immediate thoughts are a defective flasher unit. The car is an early '84 excel and I gather that unlike later cars the unit is mounted above the pedal box. Have managed to source a replacement which is due to arrive in a few days time but just wondering what sort of problems I am likely to encounter in trying to fit it. Seems to be quite a difficult place to access. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Indicator/Hazard Flasher Unit

Post by MetBlue »

Exact same happened to me recently - on the way to MOT, so that got aborted. :roll:
There's a relay in the circuit besides the flasher unit. Mine was loose and just plugging it back in sorted things. Check this and the feed first.
Can't comment on locations, as mine is a late car, but I'd be surprised if both aren't in a reasonably easy place to reach.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

The later cars have the relays above/right of the pedals too. Not super-easy to access, but not too bad, I don't know how the early-dash cars compare. They can fill with water if there's even the slightest leak around the windscreen, and that certainly can stop a relay working so well.

You can get an electronic flasher relay (which allows use of LED bulbs or standard) from Better Car Lighting - the correct unit is CF14. See this thread.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1984

Post by Roadrunner »

Thanks for the replies which were much appreciated.

Eventually found the flasher unit. With the under-dash trim panel removed its position alongside the interior lamp delay on top of the pedal box isn't abvious. It can't be seen at all, even when adopting an 'upside-down' position in the footwell and using a torch! The actual position of the unit can only be sensed by touch and available space is restricted. Because it sits behind the immediately adjacent lamp delay module the latter needs to be first pulled clear so that the flasher unit can be withdrawn between forefinger and thumb. Putting the replacement unit in is easy but its orientation needs to be memorised when removing the old so that the pins line up.

With the lamp delay re-inserted all now seems well and the indicators are working again. Not sure why Lotus didn't mount the component on the side of the pedal box. Perhaps that woulld have been 'too' easy!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Glad it's fixed.
It's more frustrating if you struggle to access, then problem persists.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.