headlamp motor replacement - source?

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

FX3&4
Verified Poster

headlamp motor replacement - source?

Post by FX3&4 »

1987 Excel Right side headlamp pod motor is inoperable, frozen, will need replacing (or refurbishing?). Any known sources/sellers for this ? preferably {for speedy delivery purposes} in the usa; but would just be happy to source the part. Thanks! FX3&4

Zag
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Re: headlamp motor replacement - source?

Post by Zag »

Got one off ebay for £20 last week. Used on a number of Toyotas. Just make sure you get the correct side as i believe they are the opposite way around (like the door handles and rear lights)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262530455950?h ... R7DemaCfYQ

FX3&4
Verified Poster

Post by FX3&4 »

Thank you for the info. Especially the Toyota connection - I wasn't sure if Lotus used General Motors parts for these, or pulled parts from the Toyota bins.

FX3&4

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

I had my left pod frozen this morning - but that was just the weather! Popped up after about 5 minutes, presumably the heat from the bulb had warmed up the motor enough to work by then. Strangely, the right pod worked straight away.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

FX3&4
Verified Poster

Post by FX3&4 »

a cold snap could easily fo that. when mine did not operate, the bulb did not light up while 'stuck' in the 'down' position. Just installed a 2nd hand motor (relays were OK, power was OK, motor was not operating), and now when i turn the light stack to activate the pods the always functioning oen comes up, but the new motor does not. when i turn the lights off, the always functioning one goes down {as it should}, but the newly worked on one pops up. wondering if it is a mislabeled part? [and yet, it physically matches the original], wrong position on rotator arm? gremlins? FX3&4

Zag
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Post by Zag »

Sounds like the arm is on the wrong position on the splines (180 degs out). Should be about 1oclock when looking inboard when switch is in the up position.

FX3&4
Verified Poster

Post by FX3&4 »

Thank you for the insightful, high quality, problem solving advice about the headlamp motors for my '87 Excel. Found & installed a matching part, assembly now operates properly!! :)