How to remove the headlamp?

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

awlhung
Verified Poster

How to remove the headlamp?

Post by awlhung »

Hi all,

My left headlamp was cracked and I have ordered a new replacement one. I know it is a bit silly but can anyone share how I can remove the lamp when the car is off?

Thank you.
Alan

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: How to remove the headlamp?

Post by MetBlue »

Alan
When you say "Car is Off" I'm assuming you mean no power and battery probably disconnected.
If this is case, there's a rubber bung under the front valence either side ( about 4" dia) under the headlight position. Remove it and you can put your hand through to find a knob on the head lamp motor. Turn it and the lamp VERY SLOWLY rises. I say slowly. You may wish to find a socket that fits and a cranking handle.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

awlhung
Verified Poster

Post by awlhung »

Thanks Tony. Yes I am now working on the engine so I have disconnected the battery. So may I know if the front valence is at the wheel well or under the bumper? And if I connect the battery will that be easier?

Thank you.
Alan

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

In my opinion it is easier to do by reconnecting the battery and putting the pod up the same way you do for cleaning them. Ignition to position one then 'flash' the lights.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

front valence is at the wheel well or under the bumper?
Nothing needs removing. look just in front of the wheel arch, under the headlamp area. You can't miss the large black round thingy.

I'd agree with Tanz though. if you're happy all 12 V wires are safely isolated ( especially heavy duty ones like starter motor) just connect battery back up and raise as for cleaning.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Gray14
Junior Poster
Model: Eclat 2.2
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1981

Post by Gray14 »

Just been renovating my headlamps. So, when the headlamp pod is raised you next need to remove the headlamp surround.

On my 1981 Eclat the chrome surround is removed by disengaging the clip at the bottom behind the surround. It’s very fiddly.

Once off this gives access to the 3 small cross head screws which hold the lens retaining surround in place. Undo and remove this and you may be able to remove the broken lens and replace it without disturbing the 2 headlamp aim adjustment screws.