Heater Resistor Pack 1990

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Mike133
Verified Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Heater Resistor Pack 1990

Post by Mike133 »

Good Afternoon all,
Trying to replace the heater resistor pack on my 1990 SE and the supplied direct replacement from SJ’s is completely different being a square plate with coils versus the original rectangular plate with coils. Consequently it does not fit leaving a gap around the edges and the screw hole is not even close to lining up plus terminal id’s on the connector receptacle are different.
Supplier is adamant that unit is a direct replacement and has sold several with no issue. What am I missing here?
Any advice welcomed.
Cheers
Mike

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Heater Resistor Pack 1990

Post by Pete Boole »

It doesn't matter what you buy from SJ - if you have a problem you will always be the only one to have ever had the problem!! Can you make a properly dimensioned plate and attach the new one to it?

Pete

Mike133
Verified Poster

Post by Mike133 »

Thanks Pete.
I feel you may be right, shame as £37 for a replacement part that doesn’t even come close plus an attitude puts me off them.
Plan is now to unsolder the new coils and swap them onto the old plate.

Mike

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Could you not get a refund and just buy some suitable resistance wire to complete your resistor refurb? Very easy to wind the coils yourself. Take the opportunity to measure the resistance of the coils first!

Pete

Zag
Junior Poster
Colour: Ice Blue
Year: 1986

Post by Zag »

They know how to charge when they send you the wrong one too. Don't know if it's the same on later models but this is correct for my 86.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121610844542

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Have a search on google images but I was under the impression that the heater assembly was from a 1985 toyota corolla, perhaps you can spot the correct resistor pack.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

I rewired the resistors on mine - a bit of a faff to do, but not a terribly difficult job. Easier than trying to change a new one to fit.

Here's a link to what I did - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12508&p=99687&hili ... tor#p99687

Neil.

Mike133
Verified Poster

Post by Mike133 »

Thanks all, swapped over resistors from new pack to old and now all 4 fan speeds working again. Not too difficult but could have been a lot quicker had the replacement been correct in the first place.
Cautionary note to anyone thinking of replacing their resistor pack, the supplier website photo is of an old OEM part and nothing like you receive on ordering, in fact the replacement is so incorrect I wouldn’t bother. Better idea is to follow Neil’s guide and repair the existing pack with new coil wire.
Cheers
Mike