Distributor

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Cliffords
Junior Poster
Year: 1983

Distributor

Post by Cliffords »

Hi all

Has anyone got alternative distributors fitted ?

My car that came with no distributor was likely fitted with a Lucas 43DM4 unit . You cant get this now .
Our usual suppliers have no used units and I suspect if I am to buy new there are better alternatives .

If you have fitted something else and it works can you let me know please . Or any other thoughts .

Thanks

1983 Excel 2.2l LC

David

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Distributor

Post by AndyC »

Not tried on a Lotus but on a Mini I used Simonbbc.com , might be worth a call to find out the options, I think (IIRC) the M4 designates the advance characteristics so there might be a close equivalent they do.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I have a 123 bluetooth one fitted. No problems once map set up.

Cliffords
Junior Poster

Post by Cliffords »

Alan_M wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:12
I have a 123 bluetooth one fitted. No problems once map set up.
Thanks , what one did you fit ? Did you need any additional amplifier etc .
I will give them call too, but I don't have dimensions as I don't have the original one .

Thanks

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

I didn’t fit it, it was the PO, but it is the bluetooth version.
Everything is contained in the distributor so nothing additional needed.
Mine also has built in programmable Rev limiter and immobiliser. You can program mechanical and vacuum advance to match the original, or can adjust to fine tune if you want.

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Alan_M wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 09:41
Mine also has built in programmable Rev limiter and immobiliser. You can program mechanical and vacuum advance to match the original, or can adjust to fine tune if you want.
Oooh, that sounds good! I could see myself spending a lot of time flooring it from low revs, tweaking the advance as far as I can get it before it pinks. So if it's bluetooth, does that mean you can play with the curve via an app on your 'phone or something?
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

rbgosling wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:12
Alan_M wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 09:41
Oooh, that sounds good! I could see myself spending a lot of time flooring it from low revs, tweaking the advance as far as I can get it before it pinks. So if it's bluetooth, does that mean you can play with the curve via an app on your 'phone or something?
Yes, you can program both vacuum and mechanical advance via a Bluetooth app. Then when driving you can advance timing 1 degree at a time up to a max of 10 degrees IIRC.
When driving you have a dashboard on the app that shows live data of how much advance, vacuum, rpm, voltage, temp and GPS speed.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Total advance is what you need to be looking at, typically 34 to 36 degrees and then work back from that. At tickover its all static advance, I ve forgotten the specifics for the lotus engine cos Ive gone v8, but, weights and vacuum add about 11 degrees x2, so 22 degrees- ish, so ideally static needs to be at 12 to 14 degrees. Someone will chime in with the specifics but total advance is whats important.
Bear in mind Im not as bright as I look.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Cliffords
Junior Poster

Post by Cliffords »

Thanks for the replies .
Powesrspark arrived toady , seems like a good unit , electronic and with a new coil 1/3 cost of other options from the suppliers we are all using for some of our needs .

One day I will get the engine back together to know if it works :D

Cliffords
Junior Poster

Post by Cliffords »

It's taken a year to get it back together and no spark.
Spent much of today doing all the tests , cleaning all terminals and testing volts and continuity. No spark at all. I have ordered a £20 amplifier unit of e bay for the unit and will try again next weekend.

Has anyone fitted one of these powerspark distributors and if so how did you wire it .. I have the service book and can see the wiring diagrams. Are there any on this forum as alternatives

Thanks

Cliffords
Junior Poster

Post by Cliffords »

As an update all sorted . The Powerspark does not need any of the Lotus ignition parts to work, just power off the coil and we were away .
Did a first start up last weekend after the engine rebuild and it started almost immediately . Watched the carbs fill up and turned the key and within two seconds it was alive . Lots more assembly still to go but getting nearer to another one back on the road .

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Great work.
Always good when there life in an engine again. Roll on the day my Elite fires up.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Post by richardw »

Cliffords wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 08:10
As an update all sorted . The Powerspark does not need any of the Lotus ignition parts to work, just power off the coil and we were away .
Did a first start up last weekend after the engine rebuild and it started almost immediately . Watched the carbs fill up and turned the key and within two seconds it was alive . Lots more assembly still to go but getting nearer to another one back on the road .
Does the replacement Powerspark dizzy come with mechanical advance? If so they use a generic timing setup, not the specific setup for the Lotus engine. You could look at fitting the advance springs from your old dizzy to the Powerspark unit if the timing doesn’t seem to be right.

Cheers, Richard

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Nice one! It's fantastic when you first hear the engine fire up :D

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

More to the advance curve than the springs. The working range is governed by a stop on the rotating cam spindle, the radial position of the stop determines max advance. Eg. If the stop occurs radially at 12 degrees then the max advance will be 24 degs plus the static setting. The springs also work against a matched set of weights. If the weights differ from those in the OE dizzy, then the advance curve will proceed differently.
Also lots of variation in vacuum capsule advance characteristics too.
Peter K