Two into one connector?

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

richardw
Model: Elite S2.2 Automatic
Colour: Essex Blue
Year: 1981

Two into one connector?

Post by richardw »

I may be going slightly crazy after being cooped up at home for the last 6 weeks, but I need to find something that does a professional job of joining 2 wires into one. My indicators haven’t been working and I tracked this down to a faulty block connector (similar to a H4 headlamp block connector) that fits onto the flasher unit. One of the connectors on this unit accepts two feeds - one from the hazard switch and one from the indicator switch, and the female spade connector in the block has the facility for the two wires to be crimped to it separately.

I’m trying to find a neat way of joining these two wires into one as I can’t find any of these female spade connectors with crimps for 2 wires. I’d rather not do anything that looks like a bodge.

Does anyone better qualified than me know of any commercially available 2 into 1 wire connectors that I could use?

Many thanks, Richard

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Two into one connector?

Post by bash »

Have you looked on carbuildersolutions web site.
Bash
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/terminals ... orderBy=15
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

I used an "open barrel splice" - basically a small "V" shaped piece of metal that gets crimped around the wires, then cover with heat shrink.

Neil.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Just buy a spade connector suitable for thicker wire and crimp two wires in there at the same time and finish with heat shrink. Presumably we're talking about a locking-tabbed 1/4" female spade?

Pete

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks guys for injecting much needed common sense into my dilemma!

Bash, your link to Car Builder Solutions led me to exactly the connector I have fitted to the flasher unit: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/headlamp- ... -terminals

As I haven’t removed the old one yet (it is partly melted!) I couldn’t see that the crimps are set at 90 degrees which I mistook for a dual crimp - it barely hangs below the dash and I’m not yet flexible enough to adopt the Lotus position.

However I still do think that a proper fully insulated 2 into 1 connector, if anyone made it, would be extremely useful!

Many thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White

Post by Pete Boole »

Those terminals are called "flags" and you cannot crimp them without a proper flag terminal crimping tool - make sure you have one! :wink:

Pete

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks for the heads up Pete

Cheers, Richard

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

If that's the right plug, you might find it easier to buy a pre wired one off fleabay and splice the wires in. Search "H4 headlamp plug".
Might be worth checking the relay plug first though with a bulb. It might look the same, but is the spade spacing the same?
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

richardw

Post by richardw »

Thanks Tony - I have checked and it is the same.

I do have a handful of pre-wired 5 way relay connectors which do fit the 3 way flasher unit so may end up doing what you suggest with one of those (removing the two surplus wires).

Cheers, Richard

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

I haven't used them on the car (yet!) but I swear by these heatshrink solder splices in many other applications - approved for aircraft use so definitely not a bodge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh5gM8GM70

If you pick the right size it is possible to feed 2 wires into one end, and one into the other, making a sealed, soldered, "Y" connection.

The only caveat with car wiring (rather than aircraft PTFE insulated wiring) would be to ensure the insulation doesn't get hot enough to melt it, try a test piece first.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."