Washers not working and need a new wiper blade

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Washers not working and need a new wiper blade

Post by Sparrow »

This is going to sound like a really stupid question :D but stay with me :P the lovely lotus is going away on friday to be finished and i am making a list of jobs. So i went over the light and they all work however, the washers don't work the arm moved but not water and i cant here the pump to stupid question i take that the pump has failed and a new one is needed. Also i need to replace the wiper blade but i have never seen a wiper blade that mounts to the arm like this one does. Do people change the arm for a normal style one or what?

Regards,

Nick
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Washers not working and need a new wiper blade

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Some versions of the water bottle are positioned so the weight sits on the pump wires. Make sure they aren't broken. do the obvious power checks and earth continuity
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks Stu funny enough they are not pushing on the body and looks all fine only thing i dont have is a metre to tell me. But where can i get a wiper blade from lol.
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Wiper blade the usual place -SJS
Washer pump was used on some metros and Rover SD1s. I picked a new one up a few years back for less than a tenner

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Yup, check first if there is electricity getting to the pump, then you'll know if the pump itself is the problem, or the wiring / fuse.

One alternative for the wiper is a Peugeot 405 wiper arm. It fits straight on, it's got a slight kink in it so it actually parks a bit more neatly than the original, and you can pick up replacement blades from any motor factors, including modern "aero" style ones which look neater and work better.

I did look at just replacing the rubber in my old blade, but I couldn't even find replacement rubber with the correct profile to fit.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Sparrow wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 18:49
Thanks Stu funny enough they are not pushing on the body and looks all fine only thing i dont have is a metre to tell me. But where can i get a wiper blade from lol.
get a low rated fuse, disconnect the two wires to the pump and connect to the fuse. Test squirt the pump and check the fuse. If blown, supply and earth good and you need a new pump.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MalcolmH
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso
Year: 1988

Post by MalcolmH »

When I got my car recently the washers weren't working, though the motor was sounding.

Probed the jets with a pin (were clear anyway). Turned out to be what Stu said - the newish washer bottle (aftermarket, according to a bill) sat very low in the bracket, so its full weight was sitting on - and had kinked - the soft outlet hose. Removed hose, cut off the kinked bit, pushed back on. I then positioned (and velcro'd) a chunk of old rubber rad hose under the base of the bottle, to raise it about 1".

The washers then worked fine. However I noticed part of the stream was being forced out the base of the bottle, although the hose was snugly attached. So I applied a ring of acrylic mastic around where the hose was attached. Et voila!!

Only thing - however I try & position the jets (which you can do, apparently) with a pin, I can't get them low enough to stop half the squirt shooting up onto & over the roof! Some of it even reaches the back screen.
"I never let progress get in the way of my reluctance to change"

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

For the jets, it's just a ball with a small hole. Try a little descaler on the outside and just keep gently working the ball with the pin around. It should go lower.
If it's as low as it will go, could be someone's fitted the wrong replacement jet.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.