Window Switches

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

KLM
Regular Poster

Window Switches

Post by KLM »

Hello

I don't suppose there is a alternative to the window switches in the 90my excel? I just cant bring myself to pay about £100 for 2 on sj's site. i know the 91 and 92 excels have a different type that can be had far cheaper.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Window Switches

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Can you post a picture of yours? There are 3 types listed.

In particular how many terminals.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... M6351F.htm

these are mine £35 each plus vat and postage. 6 pin terminal

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Same style as mine. But aren't they 5 pin? The wiring diagram only shows 5 terminations.

If you only need one, can you use it from the passenger side?

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Sorry on the 5 pin. I was looking at post '86 not post '89 drawings. Post '89 is 6 pin from 8.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

I have two switches that look like that, but are very slightly different looking to each other - one has 4 useable pins (two pins are cut short), the other 6 pins. Will embed pics once OneDrive allows me to....it's not working for me right now.

This link http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/153 is for a page with diagrams showing the logic of how the switches work - scroll down the page a bit for those who were as confused as me!

The wiring diagram in the service notes shows all 3 switches having 6 pins with the earths on each of the drivers side switches linked in the wiring. The passenger door switch is wired differently as it is connected through the drivers side on - I assume to stop the motor being told to go up and down at the same time?? One pin is dedicated to the light - the light is lit when the car lights are on.

Some after-market 5-pin switches are lit, on those I believe the light is on whenever power is available at the switch.

Hope the rambling makes sense.....still can't get pics form Onedrive.

Neil.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

I don't live far from a lotus dealer so i popped in today, my switches are obsolete, hence the premium price and they didn't have any. The did have the later 91/92 ones which have 5 pins not 6, I bought 3 @£8 each

Out of the 3 original switches I have 1 good one, 1 temperamental and 1 that I think I duff and after a bit of testing 1 dead passenger window motor . the dealer said he had one i can have at £85+vat so its a little cheaper than sj's, he also had some of the 91/92 switches which have only 5 pins £8+vat each, so i bought 3 of them too.

I think at some point i will modify the metal plate on the door to accommodate the new switches, they are a little longer but not as wide.

they also have the felt for the window frame but I choose to buy some spray on grease instead, much easier :)

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

For future reference, I think I have found the source part number:

Maestro Electric Window Switch AFU 2859

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

One drive is working again....

Below is a picture of the 2 switches I have - they are very slightly different looking - one is marked as made in France, the other has no markings.

And this is the view from the back - both have 6 pins, but on the one, two are not useable as they are cropped short - circled in red. These are internally linked to the yellow circled pin which should be earth.

Both switches have lights in them (neither work, but I took them apart to look). The 4-pin one would, I think, have the bulb lit whenever there is power to the switch, the 6-pin one only when the car lights are on.

The switches are completely different mechanically - the way they work are nothing like the same. The overall depths of the switches are different too.

Neil.

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

I did buy 3 later type switches and then sat and thought about how to make them fit, i would have to make 2 new plates that they sit in, which would of been fine but i would also have to cut into the actual door and leather, then I would have make up new connector blocks etc. and although once done it would be a lot cheaper next time a switch failed. However I decided right now I couldn't be bothered so i very reluctantly succumbed and just bought 2 new original ones from sj's for £89 delivered.

i also fitted the new passenger side window motor and fettled the frame. passenger side now works again and it actually goes all the way up and down.

Out of my 3 original switches 1 is good, 1 doesn't work at all, the 3rd works but the bracket has lost its shape and so it wont sit tight in the hole and if you try to add some more "pull" via the wires it just pulls it apart. i think i can remedy that and keep it as a spare.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 21:57
For future reference, I think I have found the source part number:

Maestro Electric Window Switch AFU 2859
Also found this number for Metro

YUF10061LNF

KLM
Regular Poster

Post by KLM »

Whilst searching for an alternative i did find this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TORRIX-class ... Swlupfw8jc

it does look very similar even down to the pin arrangement , although that particular one looks worse than any of mine do