Heated seats

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Heated seats

Post by bash »

Anybody got em ? I noticed that fuse 29 is for heated seats but I've never heard of anyone having them.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Heated seats

Post by Pete Boole »

You can now get seat heating pads to fit yourself (not to yourself!). Next project? :wink:

Pete

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, I was looking at the wiring diagram for the heated seats in the service notes, they appear to be fully automatic and controlled by the ice detection module, no switches appear to be on the diagram. So if they are fitted would anyone know given heated seats of that vintage were prone to failure? (of course you could look for the wires under the seats, but if your not aware of them why would you?) I may have to investigate fitting the pads to mine and experimenting with the ice detection module just in case they all have the facility to run the seat heaters
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Zaphod wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 20:48
So if they are fitted would anyone know given heated seats of that vintage were prone to failure?
In Volvo's of that vintage they will fail. It is a resistance wire in a plastic layer supported by the flexible seat cushion after all, and all the bending will do them in eventually

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR my '89 MY had the wiring in place under the transmission tunnel trim but that's all.

Pete

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue

Post by MetBlue »

ISTR my '89 MY had the wiring in place under the transmission tunnel trim but that's all.
I'd seen those wires on my MY89 and wondered what they could've for. Makes sense.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

Mine never had an ice detector but the fuse is still there. I think I would use this to run them......
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/heated-window-timer-relay

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

That's a good bit of kit Bash! I'm sure I can find a use for that :D

Pete

bash
Senior Poster

Post by bash »

I was looking at fitting an electric pre heating system from a renault into the heater duct, 12v 650w, that would have needed a timer. Instant demisting / defrosting. Had a megane for a while and it worked brilliantly. (More project/ therapy creep though pete).
On the renault it detects the temp but it could be conventionally wired. In the renault the main blower delays switching on for about 10 seconds to heat the air in the airbox then the blower comes on full blast and clears the screen. I think the heater only stays on for about 1 min but its enough. Obviously you wouldnt want in on when cranking because of the current draw but if it was push button operated even my dim cells could figure out when to push said button.
Bash
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165441949268 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Excellent! Must look into this more :D. Much better than a heated screen - hate those filaments!

Pete

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Post by ChrisJ »

I had a chat with Gerald at GST about this yesterday when dropping off my Esprit - he wasn't aware of fuse 29 & heated seats. He hasn't heard of it being fitted in a domestic Excel, but said maybe for a ROW vehicle - so anyone with a ROW Excel, do you have heated seats ?