Headlights

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

crs_20
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Headlights

Post by crs_20 »

It has been 6 years since the excel was last on the road and I have decided it is about time to get it MOT'd again.
Before that happens I need to sort the head lights. When I turn them on the side lights work fine, but the headlights do not turn on, plus the lights do not flip up.

I am guessing it might be a relay? If so where are they located? Or possibly the switch itself?

The car is a 1984 narrow body with switch located in the centre consol.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

Bluie
Junior Poster
Colour: Glacier blue
Year: 1984

Re: Headlights

Post by Bluie »

Hi crs_20

I have the same car, same switches, same problem with fog lamp and headlamp switches. Before you go deep into the electrics, first try a good spraying/soaking with an electrical contact spray, revived my switches and the courtesy light switch.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

The only electrical problems Ive had were always related to the relays.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Jason.goad
Senior Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red should be black
Year: 1985

Post by Jason.goad »

The relays are in the passanger side lamp pod well. You'll have to remove the headlamp to access them. There's a relay for each side to raise the pods and 1 relay to lower the pods. It might be worthwhile checking the live feed to the relays as both sides not working sounds like that could be the problem.

crs_20
Junior Poster
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Post by crs_20 »

Thanks for all the advice. They now work! Turns out it was the head light switch.

Also the right fog light has somehow fixed itself, each year I have to run a wire from the left to the right one to get it through the MOT which I then remove afterwards. For the first time since I have owned the car it now works!

As ever 2 steps forwards and now one back. The starter cranks the engine approx one revolution and then disengages. The battery is new and it turns over quite quickly before disengaging.

Have cleaned all the contacts which has made no difference so am guessing it might be new starter time......