wiper motor

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

wiper motor

Post by amarshall »

Reckon I need some new brushes. It failed tonight, about 2 miles from home. Rain, fog, spray. Bah!

Only done 203500 miles! Cheap unreliable rubbish.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: wiper motor

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Should have bought Japanese :lol:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Lucas - Prince of Darkness! :lol:

Pete

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Prince of smeary glare is more like it. I was cruising nicely at 60. Had to drop down to about 15 because I couldn't see the cats' eyes properly. :(
SORN - just say NO!

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

amarshall wrote:Reckon I need some new brushes. It failed tonight, about 2 miles from home. Rain, fog, spray. Bah!

Only done 203500 miles! Cheap unreliable rubbish.
theres an article in this months practical classics on stripping the lucas wiper motor.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Pig of a job. I've been at it for an hour just to get the old brush set out.

Steering wheel off, instrument panel off, heater trim off so I can avoid damaging the vertical switch trim.
Wiper arm off.
String on the wheelbox, undone clamp nut and slid it and washers up the string (which is tied to the door mirror at the other end). Whacked spindle with a hammer to release the wheelbox.
Unplugged the delay unit & removed delay unit from inside dash to try to get more clearance.
Unplugged motor and removed screw for the earth strap.
Removed motor clamp.
Cursed, swore, wiggled, bled. Can't remove the motor completely, there's just no clearance unless I remove the flexible heater ducts.
Rotated motor until I could get to the base. Undid the two long body bolts and slid the motor out.
Unplugged brush unit from parking switch.
Unscrewed the brush assembly mounting screws.
Am now sitting waiting for bleeding to stop and pondering the best way of holding the new brushes back so I can install them and slide the motor in without causing damage, but still being able to release the brushes so they make contact when it's all done up...

Anyone want to buy a collection of new parts flying in loose formation?
SORN - just say NO!

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

I bet it's easy to get the spindle back in past the brushes on the bench. Anyone have any tips for doing it in the car?
SORN - just say NO!

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Managed it eventually. Hasn't cured the problem.

Pektron delay module is the next suspect. I can hear the relay chattering and switching. If it isn't that, what else could cause the wiper to stop dead mid-stroke and not come to life again?
SORN - just say NO!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Drive gear is stripped?

amarshall

Post by amarshall »

Hawaiis0 wrote:Drive gear is stripped?
I guess that's possible, but would it have stopped suddenly without any warning? (and wouldn't I still be able to hear the motor turning?)
SORN - just say NO!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I'm sure Tanz had something similar . He (or a n other) replaced his drive gear to good results

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

How about one (or more) duff winding on one of the segments of the commutator of the motor?

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by Phantasm »

So a question or two since you are in there... My wiper worked great yesterday for a 2 hour drive in the rain. I turned it on today to clear some spring time pollen and it started slipping all over the place. It ended up stopping on the drivers side when off. in engineering terms it was Totally wackadoo!! I suspected the arm was just slipping on the spindle with the lack of significant lubrication on the nearly dry screen (The washer pump was slow to get fluid on the glass). Upon closer inspection, it seems the wheel box and cable aren't engaging (motor is working and I can feel the cable moving back and forth but the spindle isn't moving but a small bit now - I figure the wheelbox disconnected from the cable - or it is stripped now!? can this be simply re-tightened or do I need to replace the cable and/or wheel box?.

I did note yesterday that on delay mode the wiper pushes water down the windshield in front of me and when the wiper goes back to the passenger side to wait the water creeps up the glass due to highway speeds right in to my line of vision. My thought was, it would almost be better if the windshield parked low on the driver side to prevent this and I get 2 wipes (up and down) spread out vs one fast one on my side.. Is it possible to reverse the mechanism? ie How is a LHD wiper setup different than RHD? IS it installed on the other side??

Second question. Is the wiper supposed to park lower than it's normal operating range when in use? What is the sweep angle? I've seen mine do almost 180* on a good day and 155* on a 'weak' day. I don't know what is right or what exactly is slipping allowing for the excessive or restricted movements. insights?
It'll be easier to fix if I know what 'right' looks like.
Thanks!!
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

Phantasm
Senior Poster

Post by Phantasm »

So I pulled the dash apart. Yanked out the wiper assembly. Answered some of my own question above I believe The cause of my problem is a broken cable. The gearing wrapped around the cable sheared apart and separated about 2-3" of the tag end resulting in the wheelbox gear having nothing to engage it, just empty cable sliding past it.

Is the cable itself a standalone part? The parts diagram shows it as part of the wiper assembly. Anyone know where I could get a cable with the correct 'gear spacing' for the wheel box AND the correct attachment to the motor, which I could then cut to length?

Anyone with a bad motor laying around and a good cable? I'll buy it off ya!
91 SE Lucas motor.
-Bill
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

Phantasm
Senior Poster

Post by Phantasm »

FWIW I bought this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Def ... 0290.m3507

Hoping it'll fit as I continue to look else where.
Can't really drive the car with the dash all pulled apart unfortunately. I'll look locally too, but these aren't really common from what I can tell.
-Bill
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5