Headlamp overhaul and fog light alignment

For all those wiring gremlins we love, this is the place to discuss them.

Moderator: Board Moderators

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Headlamp overhaul and fog light alignment

Post by barker_001 »

I spent the Christmas break overhauling my Cibie headlamp units - couldn't go to the pub or go visiting so it seemed like a nice little project! I was pleasantly surprised how much better the light output and beam definition was after I had cleaned the "haze" from inside the glass, using Mr Muscle glass cleaner and a long thin bottle brush. I also carefully cleaned the reflectors, which were in pretty good condition apart from a little corrosion around the unused pilot light holes. I'm fortunate to be one of the few people in my part of Wales to have a longish flat drive, so was able to check and adjust the alignment as well. It wasn't actually too far out.

I also checked the alignment of the fog lights and found they point in entirely different directions - one is much lower than the other. How is the alignment adjusted - is it just a case of loosening the single nut that holds them to the mounting bracket? I have a spare foglamp body which I had a look at, and couldn't see how this nut would actually clamp the foglamp body in a set position. Has anyone adjusted them successfully?

Thanks in advance.. :)
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

AndyD
Junior Poster
Year: 1986

Re: Headlamp overhaul and fog light alignment

Post by AndyD »

Hello Bryan,

If original they actually have a ball and cup arrangement so just loosen the nut slightly and they can be adjusted as you wish.

I found this was how they work when I removed my bumper for painting. Corrosion may mean you need to remove them initially to lubricate but once moving they can be adjusted within the limited space the aperture allows.

Hope this helps.

Andy

barker_001
Senior Poster
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Thanks Andy,

Yes they are original, I saw the ball and cup arrangement on the spare light I have, just couldn't figure out how the securing nut would lock this in the correct position. If it works, though, that's good enough for me, just need to brave the weather and try it.
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Just completed an overhaul of my fog lights and though I'd post experience. I don't think the old lights had been off in 30 years. Only way tio remove was to drill into the side of the nut, then bigger drill, then force to turn 2 flats, then repeat process of drilling, eventually splitting the nut.

I'd got a new pair of Fogs off Ebay, but it quickly became apparent the ball socket angle was wrong. Our cars need the mounting bolt to come square out of the back. The ones I'd got were at about 25 deg.

Initial plan was to therefore just use the glass and reflector, keeping the old back box. With careful filing, I removed the swagged staked corners from the rusty socket and was able to separate the bolt from the plastic for a better clean up.

After wire brushing and running a die down the old thread, I eventually had something I could re-use.
Then the thought dawned that I could remove the bolt from the new units, using that instead of the rusty old bits. Same filing of the stake's and the new back bowls in more bits than the designer intended. :lol: :lol:

But... The ball radius was different and would not clamp in the old plastic bowl.

So final step was to deepen the square slot in the new back bowl. Doesn't show too well in the photo below, but the one on the left is modified. Now the new bolt will go to the "square" setting on the new bowl, so finally, the whole of the fog light assembly is new. --- And I can swing it around on the ball socket to get a nice setting.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Cracking article dude, mine need some tlc, a winter job on the list.
Thanks
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.