Timing Belt advice

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Silent78
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus excel Se
Colour: White
Year: 1990

Timing Belt advice

Post by Silent78 »

Hi there,
Looking for a wee bit of advise, I've been busy over the winter buying, sourcing and restoring various parts for the excel. I'm hoping before the end of March to start work on the old girl (weather permitting). I'm going to do the timing belt and remove the water pump, still debating if I should rebuild it my self or if i should send it away to be done. My question is though is there anything i should be ordering along with the timing belt that should be getting changed well the belt is being done and the pump being rebuilt. I've got plenty to keep me going through the summer, suspension to change, discs and pads on front and back, ball joint on the front, wish bone arms, exhaust, radiator. I have a fan fail light on also and left pop up light isn't coming up (sourced a motor just in case). Any hints or tips greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank Brian and Oli for helping me out with the exhaust and suspension. It gives me a real chance of getting this car on the road this year. The Lotus is a 1990 SE.

Many Thanks
Tam
Tam

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Monaco white)

2005 Seat leon FR 20v Turbo (Black magic)

2006 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 2.7 Tdi (Silver)

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Re: Timing Belt advice

Post by amarshall »

Belt tensioner is worth considering.

As for the fan fail - have you checked your coolant level? The light serves two purposes.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Silent78
Junior Poster
Model: Lotus excel Se
Colour: White

Re: Timing Belt advice

Post by Silent78 »

Thanks Angus,
I never new that about the fan fail, it does have a leak and i have a new radiator to fit so coolant level is down a bit. Ive been topping up with water but ive only started it twice and it hasnt been ran for long. I will get the new radiator fitted and proper coolant and see if that sorts it. Whats the best coolant to use on the excel? Ive seen various posts on what oil to use also aswell. Ill see about getting a belt tensioner aswell.

Tam
Tam

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Monaco white)

2005 Seat leon FR 20v Turbo (Black magic)

2006 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 2.7 Tdi (Silver)