Refilling the PAS system

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

majcd213
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Grey
Year: 1983

Refilling the PAS system

Post by majcd213 »

Hi All- I've been slowly rebuilding my 84 Excel lc. Its running now (at last!) so I was wondering what the procedure is for refilling the PAS. I know the motor shouldn't be run without fluid in the PAS so I've not done that and so throughout my various cranking sessions trying to get it to start there has been fluid and I have topped up the level. However I've just had to disconnect and reposition the hoses so its all drained out again and so I'm back at the beginning! My intended process was:
1 Add fluid and crank without starting (topping up as required) until level remains constant.
2. Start motor and check level remains constant
3. Raise car and turn lock-to-lock a few times, topping up again if required.

Does that sound OK? Strangely my WM doesn't have a section on "steering" which might give any recommended procedure- not sure if that's just me missing a section or whether there just never was one?
Thanks
Mike
When you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, no matter how impropable, must be hit with a hammer

majcd213
Senior Poster

Refilling the PAS system

Post by majcd213 »

Hi All- I've been slowly rebuilding my 84 Excel lc. Its running now (at last!) so I was wondering what the procedure is for refilling the PAS. I know the motor shouldn't be run without fluid in the PAS so I've not done that and so throughout my various cranking sessions trying to get it to start there has been fluid and I have topped up the level. However I've just had to disconnect and reposition the hoses so its all drained out again and so I'm back at the beginning! My intended process was:
1 Add fluid and crank without starting (topping up as required) until level remains constant.
2. Start motor and check level remains constant
3. Raise car and turn lock-to-lock a few times, topping up again if required.

Does that sound OK? Strangely my WM doesn't have a section on "steering" which might give any recommended procedure- not sure if that's just me missing a section or whether there just never was one?
Thanks
Mike
When you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, no matter how impropable, must be hit with a hammer

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Refilling the PAS system

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I refitted my PAS less than 6 months ago complete with a recon rack and new pipes from LB.

However the amount of assistance has never been as good as the original PAS rack which made me think the recon process had rendered the exchange rack a little too stiff -maybe it would loosen-up over time...

..To the contrary it got worse and about 2 weeks ago the steering developed random very heavy patches - especially when cold and especially around centering. A quick check on the ramp and all felt OK belt-wise....

..so I checked the fluid and it looked worryingly brown compared to the very light pink of the fresh fluid that went in just 6 months ago. This fluid was sourced locally and it although it wasn't particularly cheap, it wasn't one I'd heard of either (GRANVILLE), nor was it one on the list in the Lotus WSM - but hey ho, needs must, so it went in.

PAS fluid now changed to proper Dextron II (which, btw, is thicker than the fresh Granville) and assistance is much better! I think the Granville PAS fluid was the wrong grade/poor quality and/or maybe the recon rack or old PAS pump had some internal corrosion?

The fluid 'exchange transfusion' was straightforward to do.
  • 1) COMPLETELY EMPTY the PAS reservoir tank using a large syringe/baster
    2) Undo the return hose at the tank and extend this hose into a drain pan on the floor. (I used a straight nylon hose joint + spare hose)
    3) Block-off the return tail at the tank so the tank can hold fluid again. (I used a short length of hose blanked off with a bolt)
    4) Fully fill the PAS tank with GOOD QUALITY fresh DEXRON II PAS fluid.
    5) Disconnect the neg coil wire and crank the engine whilst simultaneously turning the steering wheel to draw fresh fluid into the system. This will eject the old stuff into the drain pan. ( Ideally don't let the level of fresh fluid drop in the tank or you'll draw air into the system - but even if you do, it shouldn't harm the pump - just on an engine crank).
    6) Repeat step 5 until all of the old fluid is replaced - evidenced by fresh fluid ejected into drain pan. (It doesn't take much time to complete the exchange - 2 or 3 cranking sessions lasting little more than 10 second each)
    7) Reconnect the return hose to the tank. Note the tank should still be full of fresh fluid at this point. (To reconnect without much spillage at all, refit the tank cap tightly, then 'snatch swap' the temporary blanking hose with the return hose that had been re-routed into the drain pan)
    8.) Reconnect the coil negative and run the engine for 10 minutes whilst slowly moving the steering from lock to lock to expel all air. (Keep the tank topped up!)
You don't need to use the Lotus WSM method which involves removing the high an low pressure pipes from the valve head at the rack. The above 'exchange transfusion' method is a lot quicker, a lot less-messy, and a lot less hassle! :D
Last edited by Lotus-e-Clan on Thu Feb 23, 2017 08:38, edited 4 times in total.
Peter K

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

My WSM doesn't have a steering chapter either....is it missing something?
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

robertverhey wrote:My WSM doesn't have a steering chapter either....is it missing something?
Mine didn't either.

I got a photocopied steering set from a long gone member on here ,it's a poor quality repro - but it's useable. No idea where he got his steering section from mind you.
Peter K

majcd213
Senior Poster

Post by majcd213 »

My Elite manual has a steering section which I think is transferrable in the basics at least.

AlSmith
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by AlSmith »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 02:34

The fluid 'exchange transfusion' was straightforward to do.
  • 1) COMPLETELY EMPTY the PAS reservoir tank using a large syringe/baster
    2) Undo the return hose at the tank and extend this hose into a drain pan on the floor. (I used a straight nylon hose joint + spare hose)
    3) Block-off the return tail at the tank so the tank can hold fluid again. (I used a short length of hose blanked off with a bolt)
    4) Fully fill the PAS tank with GOOD QUALITY fresh DEXRON II PAS fluid.
    5) Disconnect the neg coil wire and crank the engine whilst simultaneously turning the steering wheel to draw fresh fluid into the system. This will eject the old stuff into the drain pan. ( Ideally don't let the level of fresh fluid drop in the tank or you'll draw air into the system - but even if you do, it shouldn't harm the pump - just on an engine crank).
    6) Repeat step 5 until all of the old fluid is replaced - evidenced by fresh fluid ejected into drain pan. (It doesn't take much time to complete the exchange - 2 or 3 cranking sessions lasting little more than 10 second each)
    7) Reconnect the return hose to the tank. Note the tank should still be full of fresh fluid at this point. (To reconnect without much spillage at all, refit the tank cap tightly, then 'snatch swap' the temporary blanking hose with the return hose that had been re-routed into the drain pan)
    8.) Reconnect the coil negative and run the engine for 10 minutes whilst slowly moving the steering from lock to lock to expel all air. (Keep the tank topped up!)
You don't need to use the Lotus WSM method which involves removing the high an low pressure pipes from the valve head at the rack. The above 'exchange transfusion' method is a lot quicker, a lot less-messy, and a lot less hassle! :D
I know its an old thread, but for me its saved a lots of hassle/time. I was going to follow the method in the Service notes to change the power steering fluid when I found this little gem searching the forum - worked a treat, thanks Lotus-e-Clan I owe you a beer or two :D

Al

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

AlSmith wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 15:14

I know its an old thread, but for me its saved a lots of hassle/time. I was going to follow the method in the Service notes to change the power steering fluid when I found this little gem searching the forum - worked a treat, thanks Lotus-e-Clan I owe you a beer or two :D

Al
Thanks Al.

But I can't drink beer (makes me sick), so it'll have to be white wine or a single malt.

So happens I'll be in Burham on Sea visiting my sister-in-law next Friday btw ... :wink:

..only kidding! :lol:
Peter K