locating the oil filter adapter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

majcd213
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Grey
Year: 1983

locating the oil filter adapter

Post by majcd213 »

Hi All- the sun is out, the "continue rebuild" season is now upon us, and once more I'm grubbing about under the car. I'm currently swapping some bits over from the old knackered motor in the car to the rebuilt one I have been husbanding over the winter. This has to be one of the longest rebuilds on record but at least I'm making progress. The first bit I've shifted is the aux housing (distributor and oil filter/cooler adapter).

I'm just wondering about the cooler adapter collar- which incidentally doesn't feature in any of my manuals- apart from a note asking me not to disturb it as I change the filter! Anyway, as I have the thing out I was going to fit a new sealing ring- and as I think about refitting, I notice that the adapter unit has a lug on it with two cut-outs. These look to me like they are intended to engage with a ridge moulded on the block but it wasn't fitted that way when I removed it- or at least I don't think it was. So is this the case? ... and if so does it matter in which grove the block lug is located?
Thanks all
Mike
When you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, no matter how impropable, must be hit with a hammer

majcd213
Senior Poster
Colour: Grey
Year: 1983

Re: locating the oil filter adapter

Post by majcd213 »

Hi-have discovered that this adapter is more popularly known as the "sandwich plate" rather than the Lotus term "oil cooler adapter". Searching this shows at least one post on this forum referring to the lug on the casting engaging with the block so I'll go with that; but it would be good to have that confirmed....?
Cheers all
Mike
When you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, no matter how impropable, must be hit with a hammer

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: locating the oil filter adapter

Post by DavidOliver »

By setting the lugs of the sandwich plate around the housing post you set the angle of the oil cooler pipes take offs to suit the routing of the oil pipes.
Dave the cog