Any Oil Recommendations?

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

madmax
Junior Poster

Any Oil Recommendations?

Post by madmax »

Hello chaps

This will no doubt cause some discussion but I wonder if anyone has a definitive answer for a recommended engine oil for my Lotus Elite (1978) and my Esprit S2 (1980).

Some people say that I should run a period oil as I might have done in the old days and buy Castrol GTX ffrom Halfords.

Other people suggest that I should take advantage of the latest technology and run a synthetic motor oil, much thinner than I might have thought possible ( or sensible)

Both my cars are in great condition so I'm not tyring to choose an oil to stop an old nail of a car smoking, I just want to put the best I can into both, taking into consideration the cars age etc.

Any thoughts on the best oil filters too? I believe some have non return valves and these are recommended too

Many thanks as always

Simon

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Any Oil Recommendations?

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

I'd do a search on previous post, as there has been many heated discussions on here. Oh by the way I use valvoline 20/50.
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

To add to the previous post since I first tried these oils.

5/50 fully synthetic starts the engine very easily and engine revs freely. Oil goes past control rings too easily until warm on a non race engine.

10/50 fully synthetic starts the engine easily and relatively freely. Engine seems to have no discernable down sides to running a 10/50 - my opinion best compromise.

20/50 semi synthetic - engine slightly labours and difficult to start.

10/60 fully synthetic - engine starts but seems slightly laboured. Very slight loss in power but pressure is higher and less oil is burned.

My choice would be in this order:
10/50
10/60
20/50
5/50 - only on race spec engines

JUST AN OPINION based on 20k miles and 7 oil changes :wink: :P

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

I really don't want to get in to any oil arguments as in the end it is personal choice, but i run a reasonably high spec 912 running 252hp on the last rolling road run and I am very happy with the valvoline 20/50 I use, great price and my engine always sounds happy. I burn quit a lot but running 8400 rpm I would expect to especially as the forged pistons don't fill the liners until they are 80c (ish). I have tried 1!0/60 and all ways found it rattly on start and didn't like that wether it was an issue or not. In the end my choice. I change my oil every year and that cost me £25 for the oil and £7 for a filter. Cheap in my eyes and remember for me Tao rebuild my engine is in excess of £6k. In my eyes I am happy. The choice in the end is yours
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Just bought some valvoline 20/50 from carparts4less website inc vat and free delivery at 20% less than OPIEs discounted no delivery ex vat price . Hopefully it's not chip fat in a copied can :D
I know they have a price match but wanted the oil dispatched today.

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white

Post by marky »

I am interested in the valvoline 20/50 as I have good oil pressure but the engine does sound a little bit rattly on tick-over after a cold start. I don't like that either! I would be interested to know how much difference there is to mobil 1 10/60 re ease of starting.

Mark.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

marky wrote:I am interested in the valvoline 20/50 as I have good oil pressure but the engine does sound a little bit rattly on tick-over after a cold start.
Mark.
Same symptom for me too. I'll let you know!

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by NickC »

Over the years have tried various oils: Mobil1, Kendall GT1, Valvoline Synpower etc.

All Mobil1 just felt way too thin, lots of piston slap at start-up and tappet noise when warm, Valvoline was better but still too thin when warm.

Now running Millers CFS 10w/60, with this there is no noticeable slap from cold and virtually no tappet noise when warm. Agree with the comment about possible slight power loss but feel this is worth tolerating for what feels like much better engine protection.

Ultimately I guess the best oil for these cars would be a fully synthetic class 4 (PAO) oil of either 10w/55 or 5w/55. Unfortunately don't think anyone makes that so 10w/60 is the closest we can find at the moment.

marky
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: white

Post by marky »

I did eventually change to the valvoline 20/50 and I am very happy with it ( was using Mobil 1 10/60 before ). On my car there is no difference between the two on ease of starting, oil pressure or oil consumption. The advantage is that the oil pressure comes up quicker on cold starts which I prefer.

Most of the rattling noise on cold idling was actually the car pinking due to lack of fuel and as soon as the choke was pulled back out again to about half way it stopped.

Mark.

PS the valvoline is also a lot cheaper!! :D :D