Which Oil filter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

crs_20
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Silver
Year: 1983

Re: Which Oil filter

Post by crs_20 »

I ordered the mahle oc141 from opie oils but the filter was on backorder, so left that on order and bought a mann w920/21 to give that a go. It looked a well manufactured filter, but the oil pressure took 7-8 seconds to build even when hot. Interestingly the only pressure at tickover even after a hard thrash was 2.5 bar to 3 bar normally it settles at 2 bar?

The mahle filter arrived a week ago so i changed to this as i was concerned by the oil pressure delay on startup. There has been a massive improvement over the mann filter, Similar to Nick only takes 2-3 seconds to build and when hot is pretty instant now. Oil pressure when hot back to 2 bar on tickover which is pretty normal.

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by NickC »

Thats excellent news crs_20.

There are a number of Esprit owners that I have suggested this filter to and they are also finding the same, that the Mahle OC141 is currently the best option available.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

I know it's not a cheap option but Royal Purple do an oil filter for excels and esprits. It claims to have one of the best non-return valves and filtration of any available filter.

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue

Post by lambert.john »

Fitted the Halfords HOF202 oil filter at my last oil change a few weeks ago and, so far, have been well pleased with the performance. Pressure starts to build immediately on startup with absolutely no initial "rattle"; This may be down to what I now know is the anti-drain tube which I found in the Halfords filter, but which was absent in both the Lotus "old" filter and the Lotus "new" filter (see my earlier post). At £4.50, and available in your locality, it seems a no-brainer to me!
John L.

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

Fitted the Halfords HOF202 oil filter at my last oil change a few weeks ago and, so far, have been well pleased with the performance. Pressure starts to build immediately on startup with absolutely no initial "rattle"; This may be down to what I now know is the anti-drain tube which I found in the Halfords filter, but which was absent in both the Lotus "old" filter and the Lotus "new" filter (see my earlier post). At £4.50, and available in your locality, it seems a no-brainer to me!
Same experience here.

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Has anyone managed to source a Mahle OC141 recently? They are out of stock at Opie Oils... :(
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

Important update: Halfords have changed the design and/or supplier of the HOF202 filter which I have used for the last 4 years (after they originally looked it up on their computer system as their recommended type). The thread of the revised design is more recessed away from the seal face and it would not even engage onto the thread protruding from the cooler sandwich plate housing on my engine.

Mann 916/1 was one of the filters alternatively listed on their system but was not stocked on the shelf.

Good customer service at the local Stafford branch of Halfords. They credited the HOF202 against the replacement, despite my having lubed the seal and tried to fit it (although no reason for me to doubt it would fit when replacing like for like). They also called at 10am this morning (Monday) to tell me it was in stock after ordering on Sunday afternoon.

The Mann filter fits, so let's see how it performs........

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

Mr Locust wrote:Important update: Halfords have changed the design and/or supplier of the HOF202 filter which I have used for the last 4 years (after they originally looked it up on their computer system as their recommended type). The thread of the revised design is more recessed away from the seal face and it would not even engage onto the thread protruding from the cooler sandwich plate housing on my engine.

Mann 916/1 was one of the filters alternatively listed on their system but was not stocked on the shelf.

Good customer service at the local Stafford branch of Halfords. They credited the HOF202 against the replacement, despite my having lubed the seal and tried to fit it (although no reason for me to doubt it would fit when replacing like for like). They also called at 10am this morning (Monday) to tell me it was in stock after ordering on Sunday afternoon.

You can adjust the thread in the oil cooler plate, it does remove and you can reverse it.
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

You can adjust the thread in the oil cooler plate, it does remove and you can reverse it.
I spend half my life sorting issues in mobile hydraulics and engines. I think I'll pass on that idea and just use a filter that fits :wink:

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

Mr Locust wrote:
I spend half my life sorting issues in mobile hydraulics and engines. I think I'll pass on that idea and just use a filter that fits :wink:[/quote

That's how it is designed. Have a look in the parts catalogue there is an extension Union and an adapter Union designed for the purpose. :roll:

In the end it is your choice but I don't particularly appreciate the implied tone. :wink:
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

In the end it is your choice but I don't particularly appreciate the implied tone. :wink:
No implied tone or offence intended. I just wasn't about to spend any more time on a service consumable filter which cost less than £5. Especially when the retailer credited it in full against a replacement. Which fitted.

I simply thought it might benefit someone else reading the forum to update the thread and supercede the previous information that stated the Halfords HOF202 filter fitted. Which it doesn't any longer.

NickC
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by NickC »

Mr Locust wrote:Mann 916/1 was one of the filters alternatively listed on their system but was not stocked on the shelf.
Can you let us know how long the oil pressure startup delay is with the Mann 916?

Mr Locust
Senior Poster

Post by Mr Locust »

Nick,
Can you let us know how long the oil pressure startup delay is with the Mann 916?
Starting from cold after standing for 8 days; fresh oil change using Halfords 5W30 fully synthetic (Ford) and Mann 916/1. Oil pressure gets to full 2-3seconds after firing. Same as usual.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

Recently I changed oil and filter. I used the K&N type but I find the pressure build up is much slower than I expected. the old MANN filter started to build pressure after 2-3 sec, but the K&N one takes 5 sec. have I got a faulty one as most other users seem to think its the best filter. (its the one used by fueltheburn but not purchased from him)
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow

Post by fueltheburn »

My pressure certainly doesnt take that long to come up when using the k&n filter.
Couple of seconds at most.
I am using 10/50 fully synth.