Fuel Tank Breather

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Fuel Tank Breather

Post by rbgosling »

I finally got around to replacing the notorious fuel tank breather pipe this morning!

When I got my new paint job, I took advantage of having the rear bumper off, and asked the painter to poke the bottom end of some fresh hose out of the hole before fitting it. So that's one of the tricky jobs sorted easily. The rest of the hose has been lying around in my boot for the last several months, waiting for me to finish the job.

Overall, much easier than I had feared. The old hose was in a terrible state, it had broken off right up by the fuel filler, but the worst bit was behind the carpet by the battery - it just crumbled in my fingers. I guess the hose material must have reacted with the glue used to hold the carpet in place.

Up at the infamous fitting to the filler, I was expecting a struggle, so maybe it was easy relative to my expectations. I don't know if it's always like this, but mine had a couple of inches of larger black tube, then a metal adaptor down to the flexible tube, with a hose clamp on. Some long-nosed pliers pulled the black tube off its nozzle with relative ease, then just swap the adaptor to connect to the new hose, then again use long-nose pliers to ease the black hose back on again, without much of a fight. I tried taking a photo, but it came out rather too fuzzy, even with some decent lighting, but you can just about make it out here:

A couple more photos showing the routing over the tank and behind the fuel pump (note this is not the SU original, but replaced with a cheap eBay Facet-a-like)

For info, I bought 5m of 5mm x 7mm hose off ebay. The ID was a perfect match to what came off, the OD was smaller (thinner wall) but that's not a problem. I had exactly 2m left over at the end, so you only need 3m. My 5m cost £5.99, but if you only buy the 3m you need it's just £3.79, delivered. Bargain. Well, as long as it lasts, and is fuel-proof and glue-proof - time will tell!!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Fuel Tank Breather

Post by MetBlue »

Likewise, tidied mine up recently when the bumper was off.
I needed to remove the large black pipe that runs to the middle tank top, then quite easy to pull the black pipe off and work the jubile clip in the open.
Much easier than I was expecting.

( I wonder if this topic now shows in active)

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Can I ask how you managed to get a pliers in the correct position? I can see the black pipe section and can get my fingers on it but cannot pull it off. How long were your pliers and how did you manage to see where to place the pliers please?

Many thanks

Kerry

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Kerry wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 13:49
Can I ask how you managed to get a pliers in the correct position? I can see the black pipe section and can get my fingers on it but cannot pull it off. How long were your pliers and how did you manage to see where to place the pliers please?

Many thanks

Kerry
If you refer to the top point on the tank neck, there is a small screw clamp to loosen. Then get in the boot on your back and its a little easier.

to get out just let your legs drop over the edge and you'll pop right out :D
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 15:16
Kerry wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 13:49

Many thanks

Kerry
If you refer to the top point on the tank neck, there is a small screw clamp to loosen. Then get in the boot on your back and its a little easier.

to get out just let your legs drop over the edge and you'll pop right out :D
Yeah, that's about it. Lie on my back in the boot with my head in the corner, legs dangling out - not elegant, but still less unpleasant than the "Lotus position" for working in the driver's footwell! As far as I can recall, I think I poked with one hand to feel what the layout was like, then reached in with the pliers and did it by feel based on what I'd found. At least that's how I tend to do most jobs in inaccessible locations - I can't remember exactly. My long-nose pliers are pretty standard size, nothing unusual. But it's entirely plausible that your pipe has glued itself onto its nozzle in a way that mine, thankfully, had not!
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Kerry
Junior Poster

Post by Kerry »

Tha kk you both. I can just see myself 8n the boit of the car lol, not a pretty site but a practical solution, I will give it a try :
Kerry