Overflow pipe

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Grant
Regular Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1986

Overflow pipe

Post by Grant »

Hi,

My car for some reason had never had an overflow pipe form the expansion tank (just a 2 inch piece of hose), so i am fitting one. So my question is where does the other end go, does it just hang randomly passed the rad somewhere and also where does it clip to on the way down.

Thanks

Grant

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Re: Overflow pipe

Post by CHRISYD »

mine is held onto the inner arch in the engine bay by a P clip and ends below the seam between top and bottom body joint.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Overflow pipe

Post by bash »

Mine was the same, Ive now got a Hendersons Relish bottle that the pipe goes into loosely. Its only there really for when I have messed with the cooling system cos its a pain to bleed, it only chucks any water out when there is air in the system. When there isnt any air no water should come out at all. The other reason that they can kick water out is if there is too much water in the expansion side of the header tank. When its cold there should only be about 1 to 1 1/2 inch of water in it. But, if you suspect head gasket failure it can give you a clue when theres liquid in the bottle instead of just discharged under the car.
Hope this helps.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.