ARB control arm Bush tool

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Sparrow
Regular Poster

ARB control arm Bush tool

Post by Sparrow »

Hello all, 

Does anyone have the tool to put the big bushes in the centre of the control arms that one that the anti roll bar goes into for the excel. Just tried to do one today in a vice and press and it distroyed it and I borrow this tool please
I haven't seen daylight in 17 years now i have been finally rescued :D

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Re: ARB control arm Bush tool

Post by Sparrow »

I need the tool to get these bastards in or what is the way to get them in? I have already destroyed one trying to get it in.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

Did you put the bush in very hot water just before pressing it in, and lubing it with silicon or vasalene will usually allow a vice to press it in.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

By the way, dont tighten any of the suspension bolts until the car is back on its wheels. If you dont you will be pre stressing the bushes and it wont ride correctly and you will ruin your new bushes. You will also need a rachet strap to get the anti roll bar back in place.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

bash wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 06:02
Did you put the bush in very hot water just before pressing it in, and lubing it with silicon or vasalene will usually allow a vice to press it in.

Bash
To add to Bash's comments, these bushes will happily deform to a conical shape, where you only push on the inner part, as it pops through the outer diameter will naturally narrow and (with the lubricant as Bash called out) slip through the central restriction.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

AndyC wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:16
bash wrote:

Bash
To add to Bash's comments, these bushes will happily deform to a conical shape, where you only push on the inner part, as it pops through the outer diameter will naturally narrow and (with the lubricant as Bash called out) slip through the central restriction.
bash wrote:

Bash
So let me get this correct you believe i should soak it in hot water for a while then put some grease or WD40 and it should push in quite happily?

With regards to the bolts and bits i should put it on the ground first which will make it impossible to do up the bolts. currently the car looks like this.

The anti roll bar is still in place i just undone the control arm bolt at the back and then pulled it forward undone the bolt on the anti roll bar and it came out.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

At the moment the rubber will be quite stiff, so heating will allow it to deform more easily, without it ripping.
Don't use WD40, it's OK for getting into tight crevices, you want something with the power to stay on the surface of the rubber even after that surface has rubbed against the steel, petroleum jelly as called out is good, ditto silicone grease.

The art is to press only the middle not the outside of the bush. Its a long while since I last did some but I think I used a big bolt (10mm or bigger but it needs to fit through the socket), washer near the head, then a socket over the bolt (guess would be 1/1inch drive socket for nothing bigger than a 19mm), then the bush. That way, the bolt sits in the hole of the bush, things start sliding sideways The socket then presses on the bush, the outer edge of the bush stays pressed against the lower arm's restrictor until the bush is deformed enough and it finally pushes through. The bushes are bigger one side of the middle groove than the other, so press the smaller side through.

Re tightening bolts, there are ways round it but in essence the bolts must be tightened when the suspension is at natural laden ride height. Once the new bushes etc are in, put the car on the floor (with weight in seats). Then, take that one road wheel off, jack up beneath the lower arm, at the balljoint, raise it until you achieve the previously measured distance. Now you can tighten the bolts with easy access.

Sparrow
Regular Poster

Post by Sparrow »

AndyC wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 17:20
At the moment the rubber will be quite stiff, so heating will allow it to deform more easily, without it ripping.
Don't use WD40, it's OK for getting into tight crevices, you want something with the power to stay on the surface of the rubber even after that surface has rubbed against the steel, petroleum jelly as called out is good, ditto silicone grease.

The art is to press only the middle not the outside of the bush. Its a long while since I last did some but I think I used a big bolt (10mm or bigger but it needs to fit through the socket), washer near the head, then a socket over the bolt (guess would be 1/1inch drive socket for nothing bigger than a 19mm), then the bush. That way, the bolt sits in the hole of the bush, things start sliding sideways The socket then presses on the bush, the outer edge of the bush stays pressed against the lower arm's restrictor until the bush is deformed enough and it finally pushes through. The bushes are bigger one side of the middle groove than the other, so press the smaller side through.

Re tightening bolts, there are ways round it but in essence the bolts must be tightened when the suspension is at natural laden ride height. Once the new bushes etc are in, put the car on the floor (with weight in seats). Then, take that one road wheel off, jack up beneath the lower arm, at the balljoint, raise it until you achieve the previously measured distance. Now you can tighten the bolts with easy access.
Thank you very much buddy i have told my partners dad how is doing it for me so will see :).