Fuel Line

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Fuel Line

Post by RED BARON »

Hi.
I have found that the black sleeve on my fuel line in the engine bay has cracked in a number of places and is falling apart so I would like to replace it.

I have found a number of threads on here with the same problem and owners saying they wish to replace it but none of them give a supplier, sizes or type and where to get some.

I have tried looking on the net for thin wall black 10mm I/D x 12mm O/D PVC, Plastic, Silicon, and even Rubber
tubing but can't find any.

So can one of our friends help me find a supplier also give me dimensions and material just in case I have been looking in the wrong places.

I know it probably can be obtained from one of the two usual suspects but is there anywhere else ?

Many Thanks.
Ian.

Johnwindwood
Senior Poster
Model: 1984 Excel
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1984

Re: Fuel Line

Post by Johnwindwood »

RED BARON wrote:Hi.
I have found that the black sleeve on my fuel line in the engine bay has cracked in a number of places and is falling apart so I would like to replace it.

I have found a number of threads on here with the same problem and owners saying they wish to replace it but none of them give a supplier, sizes or type and where to get some.

I have tried looking on the net for thin wall black 10mm I/D x 12mm O/D PVC, Plastic, Silicon, and even Rubber
tubing but can't find any.

So can one of our friends help me find a supplier also give me dimensions and material just in case I have been looking in the wrong places.

I know it probably can be obtained from one of the two usual suspects but is there anywhere else ?

Many Thanks.
Ian.
As you say, the black coating is only a sleeve-it doesn't affect the integrity of the line itself. I don't think it would be possible to replace it because of the way the unions are fixed to the fuel line-I think you'd end up breaking the line to be honest. You might be able to use thin plastic tube or thin rubber hose if you slit it and glue or tie to the line.
Kind regards

John

John Windwood

1984 Lotus Excel (1985 MY wide body)
1952 Austin Sheerline A125 Harold Radford Shooting Brake
1949 Austin Sheerline saloon (Parts car)
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
2002 Volvo V70XC Cross Country AWD

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Get some heatshrink of Fleabay. The right stuff is fuel and heat resistant. Make a shoe for the wife's hairdryer to concentrate the heat and bingo
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

I wrapped black insulation tape round mine 1 year ago and its still on. looks not bad either.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

I was advised by Lotusbits to keep the original pipe but just find something to protect it so I used cable tidy - see below. Ignore the carb balancing pipes!

Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Thanks Tanz I was wondering if I could use split cable conduit over the top of the existing plastic sleeve because as you said
it is only there to protect the fuel line.

Will order some and fit it on.

This will probably be one of the easiest fixes I have done to date on my Excel.

Ian.

TrevorK
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE (Now gone)
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Post by TrevorK »

Mine looks like it has Spirawrap on it which is a hard plastic you wind around the pipe to protect it from chafing.
What car is that?