Fuel tank removal

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Fuel tank removal

Post by Tanz »

After Castle Combe next weekend I intend to remove the fuel tank so I can tighten the body to chassis bolts. A job I have been putting off for far too long!
So while the tank is removed, I will give it a clean out. What is the best way to clean it out? What other jobs could be done? Breather pipe has been replaced. Will change filter element. Pump is contacts type so could upgrade. Anything else?
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Re: Fuel tank removal

Post by jeff.fenton »

I bought a kit from Frost Restoration Equipment, some years ago to renovate my tank, then I was able to buy a new tank. I came across the kit, unused, during a clear out last week. I think it cost £60 ish. Have it for £20 + postage. If you're interested, pm for more details. Jeff.

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

Acetone is good for cleaning things out without leaving a residue isnt it? ( ive been watching Wheeler Dealers again.)

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

The POR15 kits have a good reputation. They have 2 sizes depending on fuel tank capacity. Can’t remeber tank size and away so can’t check. This is a link to the small kit

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-small-fue ... r-kit.html

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

You may be surprised just how clean it is inside - I cut up two leaky Elite tanks recently and they were still fine inside even though they were leaking due to rust from the outside.

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I have some PR15 degreaser and metal prep that I used on my door beam. From the pictures it looks like the same stuff just need the tank sealer.
Jeff - thanks for the offer - I will get the tank out and see how bad/good it is and if its bad I will take you up on your kind offer.
Cheers, Phil

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

OK - I thought to remove tank - held in by two bolts - how hard can that be...... Seems the nuts aren't captive so does this mean removing the back seat and the sound deadening that is glued in just to get to the nuts?
Cheers, Phil

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

If memory serves, the nuts are located at the rear of the back wheelarches, good luck, Jeff.

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Thanks Jeff. You are right. Just given them a good soaking in WD40. Will see if I can replace with stainless.
Cheers, Phil

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Got the tank out today. More fuel in it than I thought. Driving home from Castle Combe on the M5 the low fuel light was on and I crossed my fingers worrying whether I would make it home. Needn't have worried as I have drained over 10 litres out of it.

Will give it a flush out with PR15 degreaser tomorrow and have a look what it is like inside. No rust on the outside
Cheers, Phil

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Tanz wrote:Got the tank out today. More fuel in it than I thought. Driving home from Castle Combe on the M5 the low fuel light was on and I crossed my fingers worrying whether I would make it home. Needn't have worried as I have drained over 10 litres out of it.

Will give it a flush out with PR15 degreaser tomorrow and have a look what it is like inside. No rust on the outside
This is true:
My cousin actually checked the contents of his tank using a match to see what was left. So laughing remembering no eye brows or fringe. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

The tears are still rolling :lol: :lol:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

I poked my endoscope inspection camera into the tank. Looks very clean and what at first appears to be rust is welding spatter. There is some surface rust. There is also a gauze filter where the fuel exit pipe is.
Sorry the quality isn't better

https://youtu.be/FPRu9jT6bfU
Cheers, Phil

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE

Post by chrisw2811 »

Great video. For a short while I felt I was in a distant galaxy, far, far away. Glad to see the tank is pretty solid inside.
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!