Genuine oil filter

Belts, Plugs, Filters, Fuels, Oils, additives etc..... Told you this might morph into servicing and service items.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Skeggy
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Genuine oil filter

Post by Skeggy »

For anyone who is still unsure about using a genuine Lotus oil filter because of the difference in price.......

I got one today and although I've not fitted it yet I can tell you that the filter is totally different to the non Lotus one.

I have a non Lotus one because it is the same filter fitted to one of my other cars.

I will report back when I have fitted it - re: the oil pressure on starting.

But at the moment the best bit is that the genuine filter is about half the weight of the non genuine :shock: Colin would have approved :lol:

Steve
Some of them are just driving a racing car but some are racing drivers.

Peter
Senior Poster

Post by Peter »

its very important to use the lotus item as it has a catch tank or lip or somthing, that allows the oil to flow on startup (i think it was startup) using a non lotus filter is a bad idea

dpr59
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1989

Post by dpr59 »

I've used non Lotus filters since I got the car. Manns or FRAM's

Now I've a Lotus filter on and there has been no noticable difference in pressure.

Just make sure you get a generic with a non return valve.

I've changed the oil every 2.5K (3 per year when the Excel was my only car). As this will be be now once or maybe twice a year I'll be using the genuine filter now.
A

Skeggy
Senior Poster

Post by Skeggy »

dpr59 wrote:....................

Now I've a Lotus filter on and there has been no noticable difference in pressure.

Just make sure you get a generic with a non return valve.

Dave,

Do you mean that there has been no difference in oil pressure at start up?

Thats the problem I have, it takes about 10-20 seconds for the gauge to register any pressure which I put down to the oil filter.

Looking at the 2 filters I have they both appear to have a non return valve in the bottom of them. Very different construction though.

Steve
Some of them are just driving a racing car but some are racing drivers.

dpr59
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Silver
Year: 1989

Post by dpr59 »

Nothing really noticable between the two filters on startup at the gauge.

However I paid attention this morning and the cams quiten a lot quicker.

The 10 to 15 secs is down to 2 to 3.

And I guess thats the oil already being in the area.

The Lotus filter is larger (much) and so I guess the no return could be holding more oil.
A

Dr_G
Senior Poster

Post by Dr_G »

I've only used the genuine Lotus filters on my Excel but I thought I'd post this as an alternative piece of information:-

There are Delphi Oil Filters on ebay at the moment, part number is Delphi FX0026 (9975161).

Apparently they will fit the following ;-

LOTUS cc engine year

Lotus Eclat 2.0 2000 907 DOHC 10/1975 - 5/1980
Lotus Eclat 2.2 2200 912 DOHC 5/1980 - 12/1987
Lotus Elite 2.2 2200 912 DOHC 4/1980 - onwards
Lotus Esprit 2.0 2000 907 4/1975 - 12/1979
Lotus Esprit 2.2 2200 910 3/1980 - onwards
Lotus Esprit 2.2 Turbo 2200 910S 3/1980 - onwards
Lotus Excel 2.2 16V 2200 912S 10/1985 - onwards

Has anyone had any experience of this filter? Does it have the antidrainback valve?

davek
Verified Poster

Genuine Oil Filter

Post by davek »

On the subject of oil filters, I've always used PNM filters because they are identical to genuine lotus (including check valve) the only difference being a PNM label instead of lotus - oh and the price! :D :D

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Mine is due an oil change now - where do you get your PNM from?

Cheers,
Phil
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

Dr_G
Senior Poster

Re: Genuine Oil Filter

Post by Dr_G »

davek wrote:On the subject of oil filters, I've always used PNM filters because they are identical to genuine lotus (including check valve) the only difference being a PNM label instead of lotus - oh and the price! :D :D
Are these from PNM Engineering? How much do they charge for each one?

davek
Verified Poster

genuine oil filter

Post by davek »

Yes its PNM Engineering and I just bought a filter this week for £6.99.

BTW I also got a timing belt (£26.50), same story genuine Gates as per original Lotus, just doesn't have Lotus stamped on it.

I've always found Peter @ PNM very helpful and would highly recommend him for sound advice.

Steve C
Senior Poster

Post by Steve C »

You'll probably find that the PNM gates belt is the Peugeot 405 Mi16 belt .. measure the width of the belt to check, but I'm willing to stake a fiver that it's 1.5mm ish narrower than a genuine lotus belt.

They work just fine though, I picked one up from a local motor factors and have used them for a few years

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

dpr59 wrote: The Lotus filter is larger (much) and so I guess the no return could be holding more oil.
As I see it, a bigger filter means a higher flow rate through the filtering medium due to greater surface area. If the flow rate was too low, it could mean that the oil doesn't reach the extremities of the the oil galleries in sufficient quantity. This would probably be despite the pressure gauge reading normally: the gauge only reads the pressure at the point of measurement, not everywhere in the engine.
I think I'll stick to genuine Lotus, or maybe the PNM one.
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

hammerthief
Verified Poster

Post by hammerthief »

I think the question that needs to be answered is who supplied Lotus with the oil filter in the first place? They certainly don't make them in house.

Redexcel
Senior Poster

Post by Redexcel »

hammerthief wrote:I think the question that needs to be answered is who supplied Lotus with the oil filter in the first place? They certainly don't make them in house.
I don't think that would be of much help, unless it was a standard type without any modification for the Lotus application. If it's a 'special' to Lotus' own spec, then there will almost certainly be a contractual clause preventing the manufacturer from selling direct to the public.

Is it worth all the aggro, just to save a few pounds? What's the current price of a genuine filter? Probably the same as a couple of gallons of petrol. And you can usually get 10% off for being a Club Lotus member.
Surely we care more for our cars than that?
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

robertverhey
Senior Poster

Post by robertverhey »

Ryco Z89A with return valve does me fine....around $A8 a pop. Remember Colin Chapman himself spent much time finding what parts from other cars would do the job, guess I'm just carrying on the tradition....

Robert
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE