Are these Tyres any good?

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Delsexcel
Junior Poster
Model: MY 89 Excel SE
Colour: Black
Year: 1988

Are these Tyres any good?

Post by Delsexcel »

Hi Guys
I've been away for 5 years, here in the backwaters of France, and my MY89 SE Big Black Monster has been sitting in the hangar, totally neglected & unused. :cry: I have Bridgestone 215/50 ZR 15 on the back (& spare), Pirelli P7000 215/50 ZR 15 on the front. These were nearly new when I left the UK, and have full tread. Over the 5 years they have lost abot 50% of their pressure.
After a good deal of work over the past month, the car is nearly fit for the road :twisted:. Assuming that I remember to inflate the tyres again, what are your views on the future life in these tyres? Are they good for pottering around for a few/100's of/1000's of miles? Would they be safe for a track day? (My local circuit, The Val de Vienne, hold regular open track days, open to everyone.) 8) 8)
If they are safe to use for a while, is Pirelli fwd, Bridgestone aft the best arrangement?
Derek

royal
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: BRG
Year: 1985

Re: Are these Tyres any good?

Post by royal »

I would bin them and get new rubber fitted, they are bound to have deteoriated over 5 years and would definitely have flat spots if they have not turned in that time. Finding the original sizes is nearly impossible and expensive but 205/50/15 are a popular fit and Toyos and Falkens popular fits on this forum, I have just fitted Falkens on the front of my Excel and cant fault the grip and ride I get. Enjoy yourself when shes back on the road. Keith
I am just growing old disgracefully

Delsexcel
Junior Poster

Post by Delsexcel »

Very Disappointing Guys! 67 viewings and only one opinion - I expected more!
Thanks, Royal for the answer I really didn't want to hear: surely they're safe for a few miles?
Derek
Derek

Simpatico
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit

Post by Simpatico »

I think they would be safe, ie no reason for a blowout unless they have been totally flat and the sidewalls crushed. However they will definitely be flat spotted, the ride will be poor and noisy, and you will want them replaced ASAP anyway. Sorry for the bad news, but you should have sent me the keys to take it out for a blat every now and again :wink:
I am an EX owner; I have ceased to be

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

If you feel the need to ask the question, then you obviously have doubts. I would get fresh rubber. Tyres degrade over time, in any case (whatever the brand), and a new set always make a huge improvement. Not long ago, I replaced my original, 18 year old, Bridgestones (still legal as far as tread went), with a complete set of budget Nankangs (205/50*15) for under £200. The transformation in ride and performance was almost incredible.
John L.

Redexcel
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Redexcel »

Just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons, take a look at this website, especially the bit about tyre degradation over time.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Paul
'88 MY Excel SE #2551, 1996 TVR Griffith 500, 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 diesel

Delsexcel
Junior Poster

Post by Delsexcel »

Well! The Tyre Bible is certainly not short of information!! Thank you for the link Redexcel. At the moment tyres are still an academic question as far as my car is concerned - but the time will come .....soon, I hope.
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - we move on to the debate on 205's - I've posted an interesting quote from Club Lotus /Lotus on the subject under 'Wheels & Tyres'

Derek
Derek

robexcel
Unverified Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: Monaco white
Year: 1992

Post by robexcel »

Hello Derek,
I was just looking through and noticed you live down the road....! I have a white 1992 Excel. Are you going to the Val de Vienne on Saturday for the open day? We can talk tyres then.....!
Cheers,
Rob.