Front Brake Caliper seals

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Front Brake Caliper seals

Post by barker_001 »

I had the common issue of one of my front calipers sticking recently, so took it apart, then cleaned and regreased the sliders. In the process, I noticed that a couple of the slider seals were beginning to split, so I used amayama.com to identify the correct Toyota parts and ordered them. Going by what I saw on the caliper, and by the website illustration, I expected to get 4 of the little concertina section seals. But instead I got 4 pairs of the concertina seals, with each pair being joined by a further section of seal, which looks like the bush that the slider runs in. My calipers look as if this bush section is separate to the concertina sections. Can anyone who has fully disassembled the calipers confirm if the bush comes out for replacement, and if so, are the parts I've been sent correct i.e. they replace the bush and concertina sections in one piece? Thanks for your thoughts...

Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: Front Brake Caliper seals

Post by MetBlue »

Bryan
They look correct to me to do the lower slide. You only need one for each caliper. There's a different certina bush for the top slide with has a metal ring bonded to it and presses into the caliper.
Did you see the sliding steel sleeve on the web site you found? Service kits from Big Red don't include the steel slider, but I'd have liked to change mine if I could have sourced
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

Thanks for that Tony. I've looked at it again and think I understand how it goes together now, with the long seal going through the caliper and just the concertina sections being visible either side. I bought the top slide seals (with the metal inserts) as well, so should be good to go. The Amayama website does list the steel slider too (item 47769) but there are several variants. Mine looked to be in good condition, just needed a good clean and regrease - but it was then that I noticed the seals didn't look too clever.

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-cata ... assis/4705
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Could be worth cleaning out the bore the rubber sleeve sits in. On mine was very rusty, effectively making it smaller, so after inserting the rubber boot, the ID was small and the steel sleeve very tight.
Don't over do it though, otherwise you'll get a bit of play in the lower caliper mount
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.