2 Buckled Wheels!

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

2 Buckled Wheels!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

MOT today.
Passed, but the MOT man showed me a video of the wheels spinning whilst jacked-up.
The inside of both passenger wheels buckled!

He said that they weren't like that last year, and I've done less than 200 miles between MOTs so I must remember hitting a pot or something.
I can't recall any impacts but hey ho, it is what it is. Can't really feel the buckle whilst driving normally, but I didn't go over 60 mph to MOT garage.

I know the 89SE wheels are easy to buckle, the spare has a buckle too.

So, has anyone had a buckle straightened by a repair shop?

Any insights appreciated.
Peter K

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: 2 Buckled Wheels!

Post by Alan_M »

I’ve had my Speedlines all straightened by Reno Wheel - I believe SJ uses them for Esprit wheels and they’ve done work for McLaren.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I recently had two Merc wheels straitened - lots of heat needed, but nice and round in the end. The hydraulic press being used made the wheels look like they were made of plastic - astounding!

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Thanks Chaps. Needed to know they would be OK to straighten.

Looked on the net this morning and have found an alloy wheel repair shop near me in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire.

When I bought the Excel 20 odd years ago, the wheels were pristine, and I kept them that way until a neglectful mechanic badly scratched the n/s front wheel finish during a polybushing job.

Luckily it's the same buckled front, so an opportunity to get it refinished too.
Peter K

barker_001
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1990

Post by barker_001 »

I had my OZs straightened by Renowheel too, they have been OK since. The buckle in mine was actually noticed by someone driving behind me! :shock:

I've heard of the Speedline wheels cracking on the inside of the spokes. It seems as if Lotus over-reacted to this and specified the OZ wheels to be made from Plasticine... :?
Bryan

1990 Excel SE

"Look, there's a Ferrari..."

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Went to have the Route OZ balanced a couple of weeks ago, one balanced and was correctly shaped, one balanced but had c5mm of ovalisation, the other two wouldn't balance even with a line of weights half way round the rim, and had c199mm of ovalisation. They (all 5 including spare) are off to be corrected. My thinking is that even the round one may be slightly out but just not enough to see when spun and viewed by eye.

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

barker_001 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 16:21
I had my OZs straightened by Renowheel too, they have been OK since. The buckle in mine was actually noticed by someone driving behind me! :shock:

I've heard of the Speedline wheels cracking on the inside of the spokes. It seems as if Lotus over-reacted to this and specified the OZ wheels to be made from Plasticine... :?
I got mine done eventually. The first place I took them to turned the job down because they thought they were buckled in more than one plane. I asked if they had used the correct sized spigot (60 mm) or back coned them to check the balance, and from the answer I guessed he hadn't mounted them properly - probably front coned them.

The next outfit (I never told them about the previous job refusal) said yes, no problem, we can fix them.
OK, it took 2 weeks to get them back (they were much busier than the previous lot -I wonder why ...), but @ just £55 per wheel trued and re-coated, I can't complain! They used heat to true them and said they were quite soft and easy to true.

The silver finish is a tad more glittery silver than the original (flat grey silver), but the two refinished wheels are on the near side, so you never see the slightly different finishes side by side to compare, so it's OK!
Peter K

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Don’t know about the OZ, but the Speedlines had a slightly sparkly, metallic finish to them. I have a pair of the centre pieces that I got as new old stock, never been fitted to a car.

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

I acquired 5 "new" refurbished OZ wheels from Lotusbits a while ago as 2 of my original Celebration wheels were out, 1 had been kerbed a long time ago, but the other 2 seemed OK.
I have the original wheels which are available but would need a refurb.
Please contact me if you are interested.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4