Anti Roll Bar bushes..

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: Anti Roll Bar bushes..

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

MetBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 15:34
Sounds right to me, under braking the roll bar will be forced into the rear of the bush which is what was said, so that's where the solid side of the bush should be.

I'm glad you've posted that. I read last night just before bed time and the grey matter just kept churning. But every time I came to conclusion - split to the front.
The simplest way I could rationalise it was that the wheels are stopping, but the body wants to keep going forward. All connection points of the suspension to chassis are therefore loading the rear most side.

Tony
Good job it's not FWD! :lol:
Peter K

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

I've never seen an anti-roll bar bush split anywhere but in the vertical plane - usually the bit that abuts the chassis (and is usually flat) :D

Pete

TonyL
Junior Poster
Model: Excel/Elite project
Colour: Red/Red (for now)

Post by TonyL »

I still think the split should face the back of the car, because I think the ARB will be pushing against the front section of the bush under braking, although the more I think about it, the less certain I am.

I had a look around the internet. I couldn't find any instructions from anyone that left me thinking, "they definitely know what they're talking about". I found two people recommending, "split to front of car" & five recommending, "split to back".

Split to top (or bottom) sounds like a bad idea to me, because if the ARB is pushing forwards/backwards as a car accelerates/decelerates on a straight, flat road, the ARB isn't doing much, anyway; it's as the car goes around a corner the ARB does its work & the forces are twisting the ARB, meaning it's going to be pushing up into the bush on one side & down on the other.

I saw some bushes with the split at 45 degrees to horizontal/vertical & this seems the best solution to me.

I'll try to remember to ask about this next time I cross paths with someone who works in this field.

moriniman
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1985

Post by moriniman »

TonyL wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 21:03
I still think the split should face the back of the car, because I think the ARB will be pushing against the front section of the bush under braking, although the more I think about it, the less certain I am.
If you removed the anti-roll bar entirely, do you think the wheels would move backwards in the arches under braking, or forwards?