Front caliper slide bushes and seals.

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Front caliper slide bushes and seals.

Post by MetBlue »

Can anyone tell me how the fixed slide Bush is attached to the front caliper.

After removing the single M8 bolt, I can now swing the caliper up away from the pads (top slide was seized but eventually was persuaded to free up).

I then tried pushing the bottom Bush out that the M8 fixing bolt passes through, but it's very tight to move. With a bolt and socket to draw it into, I can move it both ways, but is very tight. It feels like it is intentionally VERY tight press fit into a rubber sleeve. I'm thinking it might be intended to act as a kind of spring return to help pull the caliper back slightly when the brake pressure is removed. In this case, there's nothing wrong.

Or should it be free sliding, metal on metal, with a rubber boot each end?

Both sides are acting the same, so I'm hoping it's the top case.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

John
Junior Poster

Re: Front caliper slide bushes and seals.

Post by John »

Hi Tony

I'm overhauling my front calipers at the moment so I've taken them apart completely. With the bolt removed you should be able to slide the steel bush back and forth easily within the gaiter with finger pressure only.

The rubber gaiter should project an equal amount each side. The steel bush should be a push fit into the gaiter, and each end of the gaiter should engage in the groove in the bush. Copper grease bolt to bush, rubber grease bush to gaiter.

Cheers

John

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

Thanks John
I was tempted to remove the caliper from the car so I could attack it properly, but whilst there was a possibility it was operating correctly (particularly as both sides were the same) I was hesitant.

Now I know they've got to come off sometime soon.

Have you found a source for spare bushes and or rubber seals?

Tony

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Umm! What to do next?

MetBlue
Senior Poster

Post by MetBlue »

I'd seen that set on Fleabay. It was the picture of what looks like a rubber bush with gator moulded each end that made me think the bottom bush may have been a tight fit in a rubber bush.

Or are the contents of the kit not what they appear in teh picture?

Tony

John
Junior Poster

Post by John »

Hi Tony

I got a caliper rebuild kit from SJ Sportscars, you get a piston seal & dust boot, plus the rubber gaiters for the top pin and bottom bolt, and the steel bush for the bottom bolt. There's one bit that's not included and that's the end cap for the sliide pin. The originals have a little rubber vent in them, SJ do a solid cap like a small core plug.

It all went together great except for the piston dust boot. I tried initially to fit the boot to the piston then feed the retaining ring into place after pushing the piston into place, but the only way in the end was to fit the boot into the caliper body, fit the retaining ring, then pull the top of the boot over the piston - easier said than done, but got there in the end.

John