Brake shoes on 1984 (wide) excel?

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Bluie
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Glacier blue
Year: 1984

Brake shoes on 1984 (wide) excel?

Post by Bluie »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if my 1984 Excel has handbrake shoes or does it work off the rear pads?
Thanks

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Brake shoes on 1984 (wide) excel?

Post by Pete Boole »

It has shoes that work on the inside of the "bell" on the disc.

Pete

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

Thanks for the answer, I couldn't tell right now by looking with the wheel in place. I had it in my local Service centre today and they never mentioned handbrake shoes, just pads. I am told the pads are OK. The reason is that I need to check if the pads or shoes have asbestos in them. The car is being exported and will not be allowed through import control without proof that the car is asbestos free!

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Is this the same car that's getting a nice shiny new aluminium petrol tank soon as well? :D. Can't believe there are too many cars getting exported at the mo!

Pete

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

No My tank is OK. It maybe because the pound is so weak, I know of a Riviera heading for Germany too.

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

Pete, I guess the disc will have to be stripped down to get access to the "bell" to even check what shoes are fitted. Maybe just as well to replace them anyway.

Tony

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Bluie, while at replacing the handbrake shoes, besides a somewhat fiddly job and often thwarted with rusted up parts, you may find the backplate rusted away, making re-fitting the operating cables a non-secure excercise. Probably worthwhile changing the lot if the car is due for export, and get a certificate that the shoes are asbestos free.

Dave the cog.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Yes - you just slide the disc off the wheel studs to reveal the handbrake shoes/backplate etc.. You may need to back off the adjuster to get the disc off. Good advise from Dave the cog, but the backplates are unavailable new and you have to remove the drive shaft/wheel bearings etc.. from the hub carrier to get them off. It tends to be the periphery of the backplate that disintegrates - the handbrake cable fits through the thicker, less corroded inner section so is usually OK.

Pete

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

DavidOliver wrote:Bluie, while at replacing the handbrake shoes, besides a somewhat fiddly job and often thwarted with rusted up parts, you may find the backplate rusted away, making re-fitting the operating cables a non-secure excercise. Probably worthwhile changing the lot if the car is due for export, and get a certificate that the shoes are asbestos free.

Dave the cog.
Backplates are unavailable, at the moment.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

Hi guys.

Thanks for your input and concern about rusted parts
Fortunately the brakes had a complete rebuild in 2016 at Lotusbits so they are in excellent condition. The existing handbrake shoes must have been refitted as we don't have an invoice for them. The issue is that we have no proof they are asbestos free so they have to be replaced regardless. Had trouble buying a set but SJ Sportscars were able to supply four shoes individually.

it all confirms with my two mottoes in life "Nothing's simple" & "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong"

Tony

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

Bluie, while you have got the new shoes out can you confirm that the friction material is very thin compared with normal shoe fittings.
There has been comment on new shoes not fitting, rather that you can´t get the drum back on. This is a warning not to get old shoes re-soled.
The handbrake shoes should not wear at all as they never rub on a spinning drum, at least should not, and I believe are designed with minimum thickness, but I do not believe this was a Chapman weight saving excercise.

Dave the cog

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

Thanks Dave the Cog
Welcome advice

That's why I read the forums on lotusexcel.net. I had picked up from here that the friction material thickness is less than the Supra which I understand shares many of the other brake parts. Getting them from SJ Sportscars should be the answer, Fingers crossed. When they arrive I will check them first. I believe you are right about the wear too. This is a relatively low mileage car and they could just be the original shoes with asbestos.

We are running out of time before the ship sails for Oz and this is the reason:

importing asbestos or goods containing asbestos into Australia is prohibited, unless a permission has been granted or a lawful exception applies, under Regulation 4C of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956.5 Aug 2019

Asbestos - Australian Border Force

Thanks again

Tony
Last edited by Bluie on Sat Sep 21, 2019 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Bluie
Junior Poster

Post by Bluie »

Thanks Dave the Cog
Welcome advice

That's why I read the forums on lotusexcel.net. I had picked up from here that the friction material thickness is less than the Supra which I understand shares many of the other brake parts. Getting them from SJ Sportscars should be the answer, Fingers crossed. When they arrive I will check them first. I believe you are right about the wear too. This is a relatively low mileage car and they could just be the original shoes with asbestos.

We are running out of time before the ship sails for Oz and this is the reason:

importing asbestos or goods containing asbestos into Australia is prohibited, unless a permission has been granted or a lawful exception applies, under Regulation 4C of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956.5 Aug 2019

Asbestos - Australian Border Force

Thanks again

Tony

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

There is a place in Cardiff that will reline them correctly. I know this is what Bryan (barker_001) had done.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

amarshall wrote:
Backplates are unavailable, at the moment.
Does the “at the moment” mean there are plans afoot for remanufacturing of these :?:

If so, I’ll have a pair.