Tyre sizes for Excel SE

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: Tyre sizes for Excel SE

Post by DavidOliver »

Personally I would never put wider tyres on the front than those on the rear, you might have some exciting moments. Also I always have my best tyres on the front, best means less wear and being younger more sticky rubber. A front tyre failure is very different to a rear tyre failure.

Dave the cog.

Dougal Cawley
Verified Poster

Post by Dougal Cawley »

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Absolutely Ridiculously priced. Perfectly suitable tyres are available by the set for the price of one of those. Talk about milking the brand :shock:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

alanmoss
Senior Poster
Model: Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus Green
Year: 1991

Post by alanmoss »

Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 20:27

Absolutely Ridiculously priced. Perfectly suitable tyres are available by the set for the price of one of those. Talk about milking the brand :shock:
I think the price is largely dictated by volume. 215/50 R15 hasn't been a standard fit on anything for years.
Alan
Excel Celebration, 1999 Mini Cooper S, Dacia Duster 4x4

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

alanmoss wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 22:07
Hawaiis0 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 20:27

I think the price is largely dictated by volume. 215/50 R15 hasn't been a standard fit on anything for years.
And the fact these are aimed at owners of £50k+ Audi Quattros

lotushiast
Junior Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1988

Post by lotushiast »

Hi,

i found this tyre in the correct size. https://www.achillesradial.com/tire/com ... TR-K-Sport
Maybe worth a try.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

lotushiast wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 09:51
Hi,

i found this tyre in the correct size. https://www.achillesradial.com/tire/com ... TR-K-Sport
Maybe worth a try.
Uk postage might be high
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Dougal Cawley
Verified Poster

Post by Dougal Cawley »

The cost of the tyre has nothing to do with the value of the car they are to go on.

I had a Jaguar XJ12. At the time i had paid £2,500 for it and a set of tyres was over £1,000. That car was a nearly 2 ton rocket ship that was beautifully comfortable. partially because it had good tyres. You can't just buy your tyres just on price, or you spoil the reason for buying an ace car in the first place.

The cost of a tyre comes down to performance, specification, brand quality and volumes. These P700-Z tyres are of the best quality, because they are Pirelli. The are Z speed rated, and of course they are made in very small batches.

the Price of these P700-Z tyres is actually cheap as chips for what they are. you can easily find yourself spending that kind of money on tyres for a modern Mercedes or BMW, if you are buying a decent brand.

I bet you are glad you didn't buy a Lamborghini Countach. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/345-35-15.html

Or Rolls Royce Silver Ghost https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... ghost.html

The scrawny little 155HR15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 That i fit on my Elite https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... elite.html are £ 159 + VAT, so these P700-Z tyres are a bargain.

they are good value for what they are, but i do agree that it does add up to a large credit card bill that does make you wince a bit.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

My area had a half decent sprinkling of snow today which gave me my first opportunity to try the Maxxis AP2 all season tyres I bought in November 2019 and I have to say I'm impressed. My mate reportedly had a very "entertaining" day in his BMW 1 Series whereas my Excel coped without any problem. I was even able to stop in my road then reverse uphill on my drive.
Kev W no.282

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Post by Tanz »

Sounds good Kev. No excuse now for us all to use our cars all year round.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

Well when you think our cars have bodies that can't rust and galvanised chassis they are great year round cars
Kev W no.282