Tyres Good deal on Demon Tweeks Toyo

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Stephencl
Junior Poster

Tyres Good deal on Demon Tweeks Toyo

Post by Stephencl »

Just bought 4 tyres for when I eventually manage to get my Excel on road, I've stuck with the size that are fitted already, but reading on here not 100% sure done right thing, as most seem to go for 205/50/15 or is it down to price?

Mine came with 225/50/15 on rear and 205/55/15 on front. Am I likely to have any problems with this combination?

These seem closer in size to the original 215/50/15 the car would have had originally than the 205/50/15.

Thank you.

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Re: Tyres Good deal on Demon Tweeks Toyo

Post by MrCoolA »

Stephencl wrote:Just bought 4 tyres for when I eventually manage to get my Excel on road, I've stuck with the size that are fitted already, but reading on here not 100% sure done right thing, as most seem to go for 205/50/15 or is it down to price?

Mine came with 225/50/15 on rear and 205/55/15 on front. Am I likely to have any problems with this combination?

These seem closer in size to the original 215/50/15 the car would have had originally than the 205/50/15.

Thank you.
I wouldn’t worry about it that was the combination I had when I first bought my excel had no real problems with it. I would say is that I now prefer 215s all round I find it does tend to tramline a little less. There is loads o here re tyre choices. In the end it’s what u find is your preference. Sure some one will mention speedo and rolling radius but if your speedometer is anything like mine was you never really know how fast your actually going. I moved on to an electronic speedometer it’s never been so accurate :lol:
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

Stephencl
Junior Poster

Post by Stephencl »

That's great thank you, also drive a MG ZT which is very bad for tramlining really notice it after driving Duster for few days, checked the diameter and it will be something like 2mph out at 90mph so not at issue.

Remember getting stopped for speeding in a Wolseley 1500, when asked what speed I was doing had to say between 50 and 80 speedo wobbled so much, that was in days before speed cameras.

Got quite a bit to do yet before it will be on road.

KevW
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1992

Post by KevW »

A few years ago during a 215/50 drought I ran 225/50 Falken tyres on the rear of my Excel and found they were absolutely fine. I still had the OE 215/50s on the front though. 225 tyres wouldn’t fit on the front of my Excel without catching the inner arch on full lock

At the risk of going off topic I’m interested in your findings re your MG ZT tramlining. I bought my ZT new in 2004 and still run it as my daily driver but in all that time I’ve never had any problems with tramlining. I’ve always stuck to the OE 225/45x18 size. Tyres fitted over the years include Continentals (never again!) Pirellis, Avons and my current favourite Federals. I also have a set of snow tyres in 225 width but with the lower profile of 40 and find they are OK too but they do give a harder ride
Kev W no.282

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Whilst on theme, Pirelli P7000 £200 a pop at the NEC. OEM 215-50-15
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Stephencl
Junior Poster

Post by Stephencl »

Kev W, had ZT since 2002 bought new, currently on Avons much better than Michelins which were bad for tramlining, it's got the very stiff sports suspension, not sure if this makes it worse or not. Also after few months had wheel alignment set up by someone who raced 6R4s, told me would put to standard if didn't like it but never bothered as suited my driving style.

Stephencl
Junior Poster

Post by Stephencl »

Got the 4 Toyos for £230. If gone for 205/50/15 would have been £180ish.

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Keep us posted on how your Excel tyres perform Stephen.

I've never tried Michelins on my ZT, seems like I'm not the only one who can't bring myself to swap the ZT for something newer!
Kev W no.282

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

KevW wrote:A few years ago during a 215/50 drought I ran 225/50 Falken tyres on the rear of my Excel and found they were absolutely fine. I still had the OE 215/50s on the front though. 225 tyres wouldn’t fit on the front of my Excel without catching the inner arch on full lock

At the risk of going off topic I’m interested in your findings re your MG ZT tramlining. I bought my ZT new in 2004 and still run it as my daily driver but in all that time I’ve never had any problems with tramlining. I’ve always stuck to the OE 225/45x18 size. Tyres fitted over the years include Continentals (never again!) Pirellis, Avons and my current favourite Federals. I also have a set of snow tyres in 225 width but with the lower profile of 40 and find they are OK too but they do give a harder ride
Hi Kev, I'd be interested to know why you didn't like the Continentals on your Excel. Martin.

ChrisJ
Senior Poster
Colour: White

Post by ChrisJ »

I was advised to go to 205/55/15 rather than 50s, and I have had Vredsteins on my Excel for 4 years & 20k miles now, very happy with them.

Stephencl
Junior Poster

Post by Stephencl »

So 205/55 on front will be fine, slightly wider on rear. Had Vredesteins years ago on a Saab amazing grip and lasted well.

KevW
Senior Poster

Post by KevW »

Sirclip wrote:
KevW wrote: At the risk of going off topic I’m interested in your findings re your MG ZT tramlining. I bought my ZT new in 2004 and still run it as my daily driver but in all that time I’ve never had any problems with tramlining. I’ve always stuck to the OE 225/45x18 size. Tyres fitted over the years include Continentals (never again!) Pirellis, Avons and my current favourite Federals. I also have a set of snow tyres in 225 width but with the lower profile of 40 and find they are OK too but they do give a harder ride
Hi Kev, I'd be interested to know why you didn't like the Continentals on your Excel. Martin.
The Contis were fitted to my MG ZT Martin and wore out way too quickly for my liking. With careful use they only lasted 12000 miles
Kev W no.282

Sirclip
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Marque Lotus
Year: 1991

Post by Sirclip »

Thanks for the info Kev. Personally, I think Contis are the bees knees, but you're probably right in saying that they're a bit on the soft side, which doesn't really matter if you don't do many miles in a year (in the Excel) like me. Cheers Martin.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Shocked or Out of touch of reality.

Just got stung for £100 to fit 4 tyres, disposal blah blah. :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops:
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Hawaiis0 wrote:Shocked or Out of touch of reality.

Just got stung for £100 to fit 4 tyres, disposal blah blah. :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops:
I reckon 15£ per tyre inclusive is the norm around here in Durham/ North Yorkshire?
Peter K