ground clearance

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

ground clearance

Post by pistolpete »

SO I have an Excel SE and have always felt the ground clearance was a bit too low , maybe it had been lowered I don't know. So can anyone tell me what the dimensions should be. I have 135mm under the diff and the same under the anti roll bar at the front, which is 80mm under the rubber on the front spoiler. SO on to tyres that is with 205/55 and this would get even lower with 205/50. I have tried both and prefer the 50's the car seems more responsive but I seem to bottom out a lot !

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Re: ground clearance

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

There is a laden ground clearance dimension in the Service Notes ...I can't get to mine atm - but I think it is about 150 mm (or is it 5 inches?) and definitely measured at (below) the lower edge of central chassis spine.

Measure yours at the same place (with I person or 4 bags of 20kg cement on board), then you can properly compare
Peter K

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

Service Notes: TDC page 2: Ground Clearance (below exhaust system) 122mm. / 4.8 in.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Ok thanks so mine is 115 mm to the exhaust so that's 7mm lower than it should be and that's with 55 section tyres, which are larger dia that standard so with 205/50 I'm 12mm lower, no wonder it handles so nicely and it scraps the road a lot. Also with no one in it .
So the next thing is to increase the height , can it be done but carefully winding up the the shocks, or does it need to have corner scales?
It does seem odd the measurement is to the exhaust and not the chassis?

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

Angus has given ground clearance which was being discussed, but if you want the suspension settings, then that's a different matter.
With car at ride height (so I guess that's with weight of fuel, driver and passenger)
155-165mm to bottom of front crossmember.
180-190mm to bottom of rear-most lower link chassis bracket.

pistolpete
Senior Poster

Post by pistolpete »

Ok thanks so it least I can understand why the lower profile tyres are an issue than no one else has, I need to increase my ride height

jeff.fenton
Senior Poster

Post by jeff.fenton »

I seem to remember that the automatic Excels were fitted with spacer rings above the front springs, to lift the front on account of the heavier gearbox. Does anyone know if correct, and if so dimentions. Jeff.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

jeff.fenton wrote:I seem to remember that the automatic Excels were fitted with spacer rings above the front springs, to lift the front on account of the heavier gearbox. Does anyone know if correct, and if so dimentions. Jeff.
I believe you are correct on the spacers. Ride height Dimensions remain the same IIRC
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

Referring back to the OP. I run 205/50/15 all the time and don't have huge problems with clearance. Occasional graunches from the centre box on overly tall speedbumps or very aggressively sloped ones, but not with alarming regularity. I also find that my speedo is bang on with that tyre size when compared to GPS.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

ive just fitted the fibreglass front spoiler/splitter to my excel as mine was missing. looks great but now i cant get my trolley jack under now and i catch it on the slope going into work!!! :roll:
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops:

Esprit2
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by Esprit2 »

CHRISYD wrote:(Snip)... but now i cant get my trolley jack under now and i catch it on the slope going into work!!!
Steer the wheels to full lock, and a gap will open between the wheel and the body. Depending upon the direction you steer, the gap may be to the front of the tire, or behind it. Roll the jack in through the gap. It helps not to buy the biggest jack in the store.

Approach the slope diagonally, not straight on. Catch it with one wheel first, then as the car starts to rise up the slope, you can turn into it more.

Regards,
Tim Engel

MrCoolA
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1989

Post by MrCoolA »

Get a couple of plank ends, drive onto them and voila clearance
Previously Jerry (Taylor)
Now "Black Flag"

Lotus Excel SEI1989 253.6hp 190lbft
Lotus Elise S3 1.6. Motorsport Green 2011.

CHRISYD
Senior Poster
Model: N/A
Colour: N/A

Post by CHRISYD »

yes, there are ways round any problem.......just another load of faffing about.
I REALISED YOU CANT LIVE WITHOUT A LOTUS!!! Until now :oops: