Kumho Ecsta AST

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1987

Kumho Ecsta AST

Post by gusexcel »

So apparently the rear suspension was mis adjusted when I bought the car, causing wearing on the outside of the left rear tire.
It had 205-55 15 Kumho PS31 summer tires on it, which galled me, even though I really don't drive in the cold.
But I might

So I bought the tires in the title, all season, 225-50/15 as that is the closest size[exact diameter of the previous 10mm wider than factory]

First, they fit, apparently with no interference.

Second, the car feels transformed

Before, with theoretically stickier tires, it felt a bit squishy. Well, I had never driven one, and the front dampers might be weak.

But now, even with the nubs yet to be worn off, it handles the way I think it should

Sharper

Maybe the 55 aspect ratio is just tall enough to feel squishy, or maybe the sidewalls are not stiff enough, but I think the former tires stink

JB455
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1985

Re: Kumho Ecsta AST

Post by JB455 »

Those are the same tires I have on my '85. There aren't many options in that size and I didn't want a track focused tire. Been happy with them since I put them on last summer. About 2000 miles on them now. They replaced rock hard 20+ year old Goodyears that were on it.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

ISTR that the PS31 is a people-carrier type summer tyre.

Pete

gusexcel
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Year: 1987

Post by gusexcel »

Well, they market it as ultra high performance, so one would think it was more than people mover material