Remoulds

The round black things at the bottom. Hope this helps with the where to put posts problem.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Remoulds

Post by Hawaiis0 »

No lecture Alan, just information to support a forum member in making a decision by his own volition. Unfortunately, IMHO, I felt your first response of "DO NOT" followed by some punctuation to make up the minimum character allowance for a post, did not provide any supportive evidence to help our comrade form such a decision. So I provided some. For me, I personally don't need to or want to fit re-moulds to my car, as I can afford new ones - even though re-mould technology is far more advanced today and the industry more vigorously regulated since the ECE intervention over the last 10 years. It could be argued that if your data on which you formulated your "DO NOT" answer on is pre 2003, you have the option to re-visit. You might even like to do a trial fit and report back. Like you say, if you have any consternation over re-moulds, the price differential is not worth it. However, if you don't, then you have a decision to make.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

lambert.john
Senior Poster
Model: SA
Colour: Blue
Year: 1987

Post by lambert.john »

I suppose the point I was raising in my original post was that if remoulds are now "promoted" on a national TV motoring programme they should be worth consideration in some circumstances. Or are the programme makers being less than totally responsible?
John L.

fueltheburn
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Suzuki Yellow
Year: 1987

Post by fueltheburn »

Do you get the feeling the rubbish tips are filling up with unwanted tyres :lol: :lol: Hence the sudden push for remoulds....
I personally feel the fact they have to tell people the tyres being sold are remoulds strongly suggests that it is an inferior product from a brand new tyre.

How much do you value your life or others lives? Not worth £65 a corner for a fresh new tyre? :roll:

alanbell
Senior Poster

Post by alanbell »

h s o, i repeat that i am delighted to say that one cannot buy remoulds in the size or speed rating to fit an excel and even if one could i certainly will not consider fitting them for any reason, i like my body and that of my car as they are thank you. my original posting was not designed to fill space but to warn, in the strongest possible terms, LJ not to proceed, i stand by that warning.
i wish tomorrow would come, :!: :!: :!: :!:

Zaphod
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Zaphod »

fueltheburn wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:53
Worth pointing out plane tyres mainly take impact in one vector (straight ahead during landing and takeoff) whereas road tyres are subjected to multiple vectors including lateral which is more likely to tear off a top layer of a remould.
Have you ever seen a 747 land in a cross wind.. Aircraft tyres do not take impact in one vector.. far far from it, the shear loadings on the tread are orders of magnitude higher than those experienced by car tyres
Of all the things I have lost I think I miss my mind the most...

1952 MG TD
1957 MGA 1500
1959 Austin Healey Sprite
1975 MG Midget 1500
1990 Lotus Excel

moriniman
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1985

Post by moriniman »

The Porsche 924 Cup race series ran a remould slick as a control tyre for at least one season (I think it was Colway and they were a Championship sponsor).

The carcase on a passenger car tyre, is only really designed to have a fatigue life equal to the life of the tread. There's loads of margin though, so retreading is possible. They do tend to use a compound with quite a high wear rate (not automatically better grip), so that the tread is used up before the remaining fatigue life. This can mean that the mile per £ ratio is quite a bit less than a good brand new tyre. Offroad is an aplication where there is a very high rate of tread wear anyway, which makes remoulds much more attractive. You can't have just any old tyre retreaded, there has to be a suitable mould for your size available.

I fitted 205/55 Falken Xiex and find them a very good tyre. I don't think I could have bought a UK made remould for the same price.