Window frame puzzle

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

htiek
Verified Poster
Year: 0

Window frame puzzle

Post by htiek »

Today, after finally accepting that the temperature in the garage was (barely) tolerable, I made a start on the long postponed door beam replacement in my '86/87 SE. Unfortunately I have fallen at the 1st hurdle as the window frame refuses to part company with the door shell. It appears thoroughly stuck in the vicinity of the mirror. From what I can determine from my service notes manual and parts-list drawing the mirror should be removed by prying off the interior trim cover and removing a bolt that goes through a hole in the glass. After much cursing, prying and slicing of rubbery glue I got the interior cover moulding off to be confronted with a (later?) solid quarter light glass and the mirror bonded to the glass and door skin by what looks like a sea of black, rubbery glue.

The mirror control wiring also seems to be trapped in this same glue. Without resorting to dismantling the passenger side to check, can anyone confirm my suspicions that, more than likely, this door has some 'history' and that this is a bodge?
I would also welcome any suggestions as to how to liberate the window frame from the door skin without resorting to the angle-grinder! :?
Cheers,
Keith
'87 Excel SE
'92 Esprit SE Hi-wing
'07 BMW X3

BillB
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Silver
Year: 1990

Re: Window frame puzzle

Post by BillB »

I have an '89 so my glass is blank and the mirrors go through the door skin but....I found there were 2 small self-tapping screws through the top of the door skin going from the outside into the frame each side of the quarter-light. As they were hidden by the rubber trim along the top of the door skin I didn't spot them at first either.

Maybe that's part of your problem?

BTW I couldn't find any mention of these screws in the parts list.

Best of luck
Bill

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

BillB wrote:I have an '89 so my glass is blank and the mirrors go through the door skin but....I found there were 2 small self-tapping screws through the top of the door skin going from the outside into the frame each side of the quarter-light. As they were hidden by the rubber trim along the top of the door skin I didn't spot them at first either.

Maybe that's part of your problem?

BTW I couldn't find any mention of these screws in the parts list.

Best of luck
Bill
Same here - one on the leading edge of the door, where the frame goes into it, and one on the pillar between the quarter glass and the sliding pane.

Their purpose seems to be to hold the door skin tight to the frame, presumably to improve the water seal a little. They also serve to hold the weather strip in place a bit better, if you fit it first and then tighten the screws ;)
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

RRHANS
Senior Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: CALYPSO RED
Year: 1986

Post by RRHANS »

Same here on my '86
The front smal screw is concealed by the mirror base plate.
Mirror has to be dismantled from the window.
You should find a big bolt behind the gray patch seen on the picture.
Be carefull not to damage the wiring running through the center of the bolt.
Good luck!!
Hans

Lotus Excel SE full leather, aircon, 16" Konig rewind, twin 104 cam's
Triumph TR6 CR 11/1, fast road 89, roller rockers, pulse header, Overdrive
Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 quatrovalvole
Range Rover Sport HSE luxury
Mini clubman Hampton

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White

Post by amarshall »

And just to confirm - that glue is definitely a bodge, not even one that Hethel would have considered!

I'd suggest trying to cut through it with some fishing line or similar to see if you can remove the mirror and find the screws mentioned above.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

RRHANS
Senior Poster
Model: EXCEL SE
Colour: CALYPSO RED
Year: 1986

Post by RRHANS »

Colin would not have approved "bodge" he prefered duck tape(lightweight and fiber reinforced).
Hope you have fresh roll to finish the doorpannel. :idea:
Hans

Lotus Excel SE full leather, aircon, 16" Konig rewind, twin 104 cam's
Triumph TR6 CR 11/1, fast road 89, roller rockers, pulse header, Overdrive
Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 quatrovalvole
Range Rover Sport HSE luxury
Mini clubman Hampton

fitz
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1987

Post by fitz »

The sea of black stuff is probably Dum Dum / Mastic, acting as a sort of sealant / glue / rattle stopper, and they have probably gone overboard, I have some on mine under the mirror mount, but fortunatly its enough to provide a good water seal and no more...
1987 Calypso Red Excel SE
2004 Corsa 1.3 CDTI