bumper conversion...

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster
Year: 0

bumper conversion...

Post by Ozzy_UK »

many people swapped to the later style '89 bumpers/bonnets from the original ones?

anything to watch out for? im hoping to get a 2nd hand one, build a plywood splitter, and blend it into the bumper, then send to be painted...

Oz
Oran Maliphant
---------------------------------------
Mercedes B250e “Tesla” 2015
MGF 1.8i Steptronic CVT 2001
Honda Civic Type R EP3 2004
Volvo V70 T5 2002
Lotus Excel 4.0l V8 1987 #2470

steven popay
Senior Poster
Model: H.C WIDE BODY
Colour: BLACK
Year: 1988

Re: bumper conversion...

Post by steven popay »

The 89my bumper is the same as the 85 onwards but a lot of it is cut away and has the fibre glass spoiler riveted to it, the 89 bonnet may need some fettling as my replacement bonnet was not a straight fit and needed the bobbins moving but my replacement bonnet had been "worked" on before.
steve

terry
Senior Poster

Post by terry »

Don't forget Ozzy, that the bumper is not GRP, it's plastic, and flexes a lot more than GRP would.

It will have to be rivetted or bolted,I don't think that GRP will bond very well directly to it.

Terry

amarshall
Model: SE
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Ozzy - I have a spare 1990 bumper in my parts store at the moment - and will have a slightly damaged spoiler to go with it (missing the brackets that hold it on at the side) when I've finally found time (and weather) to spray and fit the replacement.

Make me an offer ?
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

steven popay
Senior Poster
Model: H.C WIDE BODY
Colour: BLACK
Year: 1988

Post by steven popay »

Angus i think my bonnet is the matching one to your bumper if it was the one from durham, wasnt a good bonnet but the only one in the uk available at the time with central louvres"

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

amarshall wrote:Ozzy - I have a spare 1990 bumper in my parts store at the moment - and will have a slightly damaged spoiler to go with it (missing the brackets that hold it on at the side) when I've finally found time (and weather) to spray and fit the replacement.

Make me an offer ?
what color? was hoping i could get a 2nd hand one in white from mike taylor for circa £80ish... so would need to be considerably less than that?
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

amarshall
Model: SE
Year: 1990

Post by amarshall »

Ozzy_UK wrote:
amarshall wrote:Ozzy - I have a spare 1990 bumper in my parts store at the moment - and will have a slightly damaged spoiler to go with it (missing the brackets that hold it on at the side) when I've finally found time (and weather) to spray and fit the replacement.

Make me an offer ?
what color? was hoping i could get a 2nd hand one in white from mike taylor for circa £80ish... so would need to be considerably less than that?
The bumper is calypso pink and the spoiler is monaco white between the stone chips ;) I think I paid around £40 or £50 for the whole assembly so around half that would make me a happy chappy.
https://www.lotusexcel.co.uk/
SORN - just say NO!

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

amarshall wrote:
Ozzy_UK wrote:

Make me an offer ?
The bumper is calypso pink and the spoiler is monaco white between the stone chips ;) I think I paid around £40 or £50 for the whole assembly so around half that would make me a happy chappy.
done :) msg me on facebook and we will sort out monies/pickup... (im in northampton tomorrow - sat for a friends funeral... with 89 other lotus's)...
Oz
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

this might upset some purists...but
A few years ago I was at Donington when a guy was walking by with a very late Esprit front spoiler assembly under his arm, the one with the big chin and lots of scoops (the spoiler, not the guy), and being cheeky I asked if I could offer it up under the excels front bumper. Surprisingly it wasnt that far off, certainly within fettling range. So, how about esprit wrap around bumpers, front spoiler, cover plates for the joining strips, and bulbus sill covers for a total transformation. The rear bumper assembly would probably give the effect of a rear venturi. I dont know how much it would cost and Im not that good with photoshop, but its worth a thought. Lotus didnt get flack for updating the esprit, so how about an excel on the same lines.

bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Funny you should mention that Bash - My new bumper for the one-piece bonnet is made along those lines. It's not painted yet, but I'll try and get a photo next time I fit it.

Pete

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

i had that same thought when i saw Si's front bumper on his Black JPS esprit (see the stripes thread)...

I think i want more of a "splitter" than a wedge though... i am looking for some actual downforce, and im going to flat bottom the car with some sheets of alli if i can make it fit, and the exaust gets enough ventillation... will go all the way to the back like the under tray of the elises...

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Here's a couple of shots of the mkI version of my bumper. It will probably get modified again to alter the radius of curvature of the corners (I think I made these a little tight), and to make it lighter, depending on how it behaves with a good head-wind!

As you can see the car is a mix of Calypso red and Calypso orange! It's likely to remain cosmetically challenged for a while.

The headlights aren't quite finished yet.

This is how you get to the engine etc:

You can also remove the front entirely - makes getting the engine out somewhat easier.

Pete

Ozzy_UK
Senior Poster

Post by Ozzy_UK »

Pete that looks excellent...

have you a rover V8 in there?

looks like i will be going down the Jag XKR route with the superchaged 4.0/4.2 engine and a TVR T5 gearbox...
I have a friend who works for racing green who thinks we can easilly get 550bhp out of it!!

love the hinged front "clam", any more pics of how you did that, the Aero catches look awesome...

Also how much was the roll cage? (as i will be putting one in too) and where from?

Oz.
Oran Maliphant
Volvo V70 T5 2002

Pete Boole
Senior Poster

Post by Pete Boole »

Thanks Ozzy. The engine is a 5.7l Chevy engine - LS1 - all aluminium V8. Much less tall than the Rover engine. About 320hp and the same torque. It's mated to a Tremec TKO 600 5-speed and a BTR hydratrac limited-slip diff. I've had an ordinary steel prop-shaft made but I shall look into replacing it with an aluminium one later - depending on cost!

Pete

Lotus-e-Clan
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE - EWP/Waterless!
Colour: Not Blue or Green
Year: 1989

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Can't wait for you to finish and get some performance figures ...should be f'in ffffaaaaaast ! And NO bonnet bulge as a bonus! 8)
Peter K