Excel Door hang adjustment - help needed

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

StevoXL
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Excel Door hang adjustment - help needed

Post by StevoXL »

Hi, I need some help with door hang adjustment.

My driver side door on my 88 Excel seems to of dropped slightly, maybe 3mm, and needs adjustment back.

What's the best method? Is there adjustment on the hinge bolts inside the door frame or do you need to remove the door card and adjust with the bolts on the door beam?

Many thanks in advance!
Steve

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Re: Excel Door hang adjustment - help needed

Post by Pete Boole »

Hi Steve - can you also lift the door 3mm at the latch end? Is the hinge worn enough to create this? You're right about the through-bolts in the A-post - they make the hinges adjustable fore and aft, so leaving the lower hinge untouched and moving the top hinge forward slightly will lift the door at the latch end. Lifting the whole door is achieved with shims on the bottom of the hinge pin. The doors when fully built are surprisingly heavy - make sure it is supported before you undo anything!

Pete

StevoXL
Verified Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1988

Re: Excel Door hang adjustment - help needed

Post by StevoXL »

Thanks Pete,

The hinge doesn't seem warn, no real play if you try lifting the door. Could be wrong, but I think someone might of leant a bit heavily on the door, making is lower on the latch end than it should be. Hopefully an easy job for the weekend as long as not too cold:-)