Open boot lock failed

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Open boot lock failed

Post by AndyC »

So, one of my Excels has the boot seemingly locked but refusing to unlock with the key, so I was wondering if anybody has any success in a way to open it that is non-destructive other than a locksmith option (it's not roadworthy, so means mobile locksmith).

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Re: Open boot lock failed

Post by bash »

Have you tried pushing the bootlid down while twisting the key to release any pressure on the clasp.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

Hi Bash, yes I had tried that, but a good call out as I'd not said that I'd tried.

Anyway, problem solved, ish....
This is my project Excel Celebration (Google search will show the exact car is search supercharged Excel), but I just tried what should be a non-option.
I have lots of Excels (4 currently) and have had others in the past (3), not all will have left with all keys, so I have a few keys around the house. I just collected all keys/key sets that had something that may be an Excel key that is not for a known car (that was going to be the next check- hope that one from another car fits), and tried each in the ignition & door, then when I found the door key I tried that in the boot without success, but I noticed that a near-identical set had already failed the door & ignition test. I turns out I have two partial sets of keys for this car, each has an immobiliser and alarm fob, a glovebox key and a Toyota key but the Toyota key is different on each set. One for the boot, one for the rest of the car.
FFS, but also PHEW.

So, I'll need to re-shim /re-key/re-leaf that boot lock to match the ignition & door key. Oh what joy but at least it didn't involve cutting the boot floor to remove the whole spare wheel well and work on the lock from inside the boot.

supraholic
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: Blue
Year: 1986

Post by supraholic »

But isn't that supposed to be your "valet" key. On Toyota keys of the era, as I recall, there's one extra cut on the valet key that the ignition key doesn't have so that the valet parking your car can't access valuables left in the trunk or boot. Supra of course was a hatchback so it was just the glove box.
Phil - 86 Excel SE

AndyC
Senior Poster

Post by AndyC »

I've just checked a handbook (not the same year but close) and it was Service key 1 = Ignition/steering l, boot, doors. Master key 2 = the same plus glovebox, so the valet key is the service key and allows access to all save for the glovebox. Then there's the fuel filler cap key.

One train of thought is, if it's hotel valet then they need access to the luggage to get it to your room. If it's garage service, then they need access to things like fuel filter, spare trye and bulbs for rear lights.