Boot Floor Missing Bracket

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Boot Floor Missing Bracket

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Decided to do a bit of work in the boot. As with the recurring theme.. the existing is in awful shape.

The bracket in the middle, I noticed something is missing. Trawling the internet, I found this image.

I presume it's for the tool kit/roll.

I have no tool kit with the car. I've also noted that there have been at least 2 different designs in the Excel life span. Early cars not having this strap??

Question is does this determine that my car came with a tool roll as opposed to the plastic tool kit.

and also can the strap be got? I see no reference at all in the parts book.
Last edited by Dwaynem884 on Tue Nov 07, 2023 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1989 Peugeot 205 1.1 Look
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Re: Boot Floor Missing Bracket

Post by Hawaiis0 »

My MY87 does not have that item and has the plastic tool box mounted on the back wall.

I have also never seen that before.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

That looks exactly like my boot board - also a 1987 car....I can take pics if you need.

I don't think I have the metal strip on the one edge that is on both those pics - will need to explore if that was ever there.

I do not have the tool roll that I think was originally fastened there.

Neil.

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Excel SA wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 13:53
I don't think I have the metal strip on the one edge that is on both those pics - will need to explore if that was ever there.
Apparently the strip only featured in later cars, on my car and in the parts list it's PVC angle

So you have the bracket/strap in the middle of the board Neil?
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Post by rbgosling »

I have exactly that clip in my '90 Excel SE, both parts are present. I never use it for anything, and I'm not as obsessive as Dwayne about originality and perfection, so if it helps you in your quest for perfection it's yours, it'll have a better home in your car than mine. The rubber isn't even perished! No idea what it is supposed to hold, there was nothing in it when I got the car, the only tools were the jack and wheel brace in the other pocket on the left side of the boot (which embarrassingly I only discovered after about 8 years of owning the car!)

I do want to re-do that floor part in my car too, it looks in similar condition around the corners, but there are so many other fixes ahead of that in the list that it's unlikely ever to happen.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue

Post by rbgosling »

Excel SA wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 13:53
That looks exactly like my boot board - also a 1987 car....I can take pics if you need.

I do not have the tool roll that I think was originally fastened there.

Neil.
The metal strip along the rear edge should be there, it helps hold the floor panel in position under the bottom edge of the rear trim panel.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

rbgosling wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 16:00
I have exactly that clip in my '90 Excel SE, both parts are present. I never use it for anything, and I'm not as obsessive as Dwayne about originality and perfection, so if it helps you in your quest for perfection it's yours, it'll have a better home in your car than mine. The rubber isn't even perished! No idea what it is supposed to hold, there was nothing in it when I got the car, the only tools were the jack and wheel brace in the other pocket on the left side of the boot (which embarrassingly I only discovered after about 8 years of owning the car!)

I do want to re-do that floor part in my car too, it looks in similar condition around the corners, but there are so many other fixes ahead of that in the list that it's unlikely ever to happen.
It's a curse and a blessing :lol: But whatever it originally held, I endeavour to find out and to fill it. Very generous of you Richard, I'll send you a pm.

I'm going with 6mm MDF, may be slight overkill, but the original masonite clearly wasn't up to the job. Re-doing the LH pocket as well. A good sign that you never needed the jack & brace in those 8 years.
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Marten
Regular Poster
Model: excel
Colour: red
Year: 1985

Post by Marten »

Dwaynem884 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 16:20
I'm going with 6mm MDF, may be slight overkill, but the original masonite clearly wasn't up to the job
Don't, it will go wobbly pretty quick, it just isn't dimensionally stable if not perfectly dry.

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Marten wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 17:47

Don't, it will go wobbly pretty quick, it just isn't dimensionally stable if not perfectly dry.
What would you recommend Marten?
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Lotus520
Junior Poster
Colour: Blue

Post by Lotus520 »

I would go with either furniture grade birch faced ply ( tends to have more laminated layers for strength and would help it keep flat) or a marine grade wbp ply, either way I would also varnish them. Firstly to keep them from getting damp and secondly, some of the glues can really stink ( animal bi-products)
And as mentioned above, definitely not MDF

AndrewWebber
Regular Poster
Model: Elite S1 503, Plus 2, Europa '
Colour: Gold
Year: 1979

Post by AndrewWebber »

You could also look into 'phenolic' board. This is used on trailer beds that are exposed to damp over long periods of time, also in the light commercial van conversion business for false floors, shelving etc, again because it is stable and resistant to moisture warping / delamination.

Andy

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Great points men. Although you don't have much faith in me for making the boot watertight :P (Joking ofcourse)

I'll look into those options. At the end of the day, it'll be what is most readily available local to me.

Dwayne
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???

Excel SA
Senior Poster
Colour: White
Year: 1987

Post by Excel SA »

The masonite and MDF are basically made up of the same stuff, both will suffer if they get wet. If you go for a thicker board, then the boot floor won't be flat. The board is pretty well supported by the sides of the boot floor and the tyre - assuming your tyres are the "right" width.

I will probably just go with the masonite again - it did survive 30+ years - probably with some varnish on the top side before carpeting, and then a layer of fiberglass cloth on the bottom to help stiffen it all up - it can change shape quite easily if not stored flat.....

I'm not sure it is the best idea to hang a tool roll under the center though - there are a few other ways/places to store stuff.

Neil.

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

While in the boot, for my 85 LC I understand there was no under boot strengthening bracket and the rear suspension mountings to the fibreglass were originally horizontal, creating cracks in the bolt and fuel pump fixing. I have reinforced the fibreglass but as yet no underboot bracket. So I got to thinking about installing a Slim Spare, mainly to reduce weight while retaining the rear crash impact strength. This would require replacing the boot boarding with plywood.
It appears that the steel strap indicated at the beginning of this thread may have been to provide support to the centre of the boot boarding.

Dave the cog.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

The bracket and strap are for holding the tool kit Dwayne.
Picture below of the underside when I did exactly the same job to remake the base board out of Marine ply.

I put a couple of strips of rubber under the tool kit to add a bit more tension to the strap. I have the occasional "clunk" noise from the boot area, and I suspect sometimes it can be the tool kit bouncing over a bump and knocking the board.
My car also had the plastic angle along the rear, but it had "bent" and with the stronger board I now have, it wasn't needed.

I'll take some pictures of the tool kit later and post so you know what you're looking for. Lotus bits have them, but they are a pretty penny :(
Have been known to show on Fleabay occasionally.

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.