Monaco white more than one shade?

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

mikefahey
Junior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: White
Year: 1989

Monaco white more than one shade?

Post by mikefahey »

Hi all,
I have a 1989 Excel SE it’s Monaco White with the paint code stamped into the vin plate as A21.
I had this car painted 20 years ago and it’s time to paint the front again, microblistering is getting bad.
I ordered a litre of Monaco White cellulose and painted a test piece, the front bumper.
The colour is a really brilliant white and a bad match.
The engine bay, not included in the original re spray, is a creamier white. The general colour of the car matches the engine bay. This after cleaning, clay bar, compound and colour restorer.
The question is - are there differing shades of Monaco White? Grateful to hear from anyone else who has of has had a similar problem.
Don’t want to paint the whole car…..
Thanks
Mike
White 89 Excel SE
NG TF Henley Roadster
Ducati 916 ST4
Triumph Sprint
Think Lotus If you reckon a Ducati is unreliable!

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Re: Monaco white more than one shade?

Post by Alan_M »

20 year old paint will have changed colour and polishing won’t fully restore it to the same as new paint. Also the 89 does not use cellulose - that was out of date even in 89. It was painted in a 2k clear over solvent basecoat. If you don’t want to go this route and just go for something to smarten the car then you could use a single stage 2k paint.

Your best option to get a close match is to take the car to your local paint suppliers and get them to use their spectro camera on it.
If you’re going to get a paint shop to spray the car I would leave the headache of matching the colour to them. Bigger shops have their own system and can tint the colour to get best match.
Even with this it’s often necessary to blend into adjacent panels, but no idea how blending 2k single stage over clear coat would look, only ever done it with base and clear.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

Ps, 2k single stage and 2k clear pose a serious health risk - do your research.
Also you will need to sand down to gel coat and then reseal - again a 2k epoxy is best for this.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white
Year: 1986

Post by bash »

My cars monaco white, its probably the clearcoat thats yellowed slightly making the difference / creamy colour.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.