SE Gear knob

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Re: SE Gear knob

Post by MetBlue »

The leather on the original gear knob is incredibly thin, probably so it can take the contours of the knob.
Mine was in a very poor state, so when doing the black leather highlights in my car, I started on a recover myself.
Very tricky with much thicker leather, but I'm reasonably happy with teh results so far.

Before someone says, the gear pattern boss is not yet stuck in, so it's popping out on one side.

Never really quite worked out how to finish the underside though, so it's been sitting by my computer for a couple of years now.

As picture shows, the steel insert is just a press fit in originally. Touch of epoxy when I finally decide what i'm doing will keep it in place ( assuming I use it).

Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Lotus520
Junior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Blue
Year: 1990

Post by Lotus520 »

True dedication there Tony
Well done

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

MetBlue wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:40

Never really quite worked out how to finish the underside though, so it's been sitting by my computer for a couple of years now.

As picture shows, the steel insert is just a press fit in originally. Touch of epoxy when I finally decide what i'm doing will keep it in place ( assuming I use it).

Tony
I would skive the leather at the lower edge so could be folded under and glued. Also possibly skived the two edges where you stitch if they’re going to overlap a little.

Ps - if you decide not to use it. - let me know. I have an SE that would love to have an original fitted.

Dwaynem884
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by Dwaynem884 »

Question

How far does the steel insert/boss sit out from the base of the knob?

My knob had been rehashed that badly I believe the boss was too far in, so couldn't trust it for a correct measurement.

The tear down has begun
1980 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia
1989 Peugeot 205 1.1 Look
1991 Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI
1992 Lotus Excel SE

Who needs modern cars???