Satin Black Bits - Polish?

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

The83Boy
Verified Poster
Model: Type 83 Elite + Evora NA
Colour: Onyx Green

Satin Black Bits - Polish?

Post by The83Boy »

I suddenly have cause to get my '81 Elite nice and shiny for the start of March, and while it's far from pristine I wan't to avoid any repainting in an attempt to maintain the patina that I've helped impart on it over the last 30 odd years.

The problem I'm facing is my black bumpers, and wing mirrors, are looking tired and slightly grey. Can anybody recommend a product to get some colour back into them as part of my clean & polish routine?

I tried Autoglym SRP last year as it's what was on the shelf, but it didn't really achieve much. I'm also wary of polishing, as I'm not sure the bumpers should come up glossy, but maybe a black t-cut or something similar might help the colour if I don't buff too enthusiastically.

Any suggestions welcome.

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Re: Satin Black Bits - Polish?

Post by Tanz »

I know you said you don't want to paint but I found this stuff very good on my Elan M100. Before and after pictures below

Very easy to apply and get good results.

On my Excel I use Autoglym Bumper and Trim gel. This also works really well especially on the black mirrors but you have to reapply it from time to time.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

rbgosling
Senior Poster
Model: Lotus Excel SE
Colour: Midnight Blue
Year: 1990

Re: Satin Black Bits - Polish?

Post by rbgosling »

I used some stuff called "solution finish" I found on Amazon. Here's the post I did about it a year and a half ago - it's still looking black now, and I haven't had to re-apply it yet.
"Farmer" Richard

1990 Lotus Excel SE (Lilith)
2022 MG MG5 EV (not due to be a classic for quite a few years...)
2011 Nissan Leaf (Ragly - EV pioneer, must be due to be a classic one day)